Color differents in 2 indentical shots

thpeters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These 2 shots make just in 2 seconds apart from each other no changing in light or settings at all. Setting for the camera M8 was, Flash/250/F11, Elinchrom 600 studio Iights, I have from the whole session several shots with the same problems.

Maybe the forum can tell me if more people have that problem?

Sometimes it happen outside too.

Thanks in advanche for some suggestions or ideas

Theo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

AWB, doesn't seem to want to work for you.

Since you are in a studio, I'd suggest manually setting the white balance with a grey card (or piece of paper). Alternatively just set the white balance to tungsten and be done with it.

c.

I just looked them up, the Elinchromes put out 5500K light, approximately day light.

You could try selecting day light and have at it.

Are you shooting DNGs or JPG? If DNG, just post process with a white balance temp of 5500.

enjoy.

c.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used the ExpoDisc, WB cloudy.

Files where JPG have them also in RAW, easy to adjust, that is not my problem, just wondering why the camera is doing it? And it is a lot of extra work to correct every raw file.

Still it should not have that problem with 2 shots in 2 seconds apart from each other, my humble opinion.

Theo

Files where JPG have them also in RAW, easy to adjust, that is not my problem, just wondering why the camera is doing it? And it is a lot of extra work to correct every raw file.

Still it should not have that problem with 2 shots in 2 seconds apart from each other, my humble opinion.

Theo

BUT WHAT WB did you use on those 2 images you posted.

I don't know about anyone else but both my M8's take two completely different images when I shoot in DNG+JPG mode. The DNG is always the better of the two images and it doesn't matter whether I'm using AWB or setting it with a Expodisc.

In my experience this is, plain and simple, a problem with the M8.

Shooting RAW, auto white balance, it does not show any consistency.

I use a device called a whibal (White Balance Reference - WhiBal Gray Card - Digital Photo RAW Workflow) and then color correct the files in LightRoom.

It is a pain in the rear, but it is a problem with the M8 that remains to be fixed.

--Bob

BUT WHAT WB did you use on those 2 images you posted.

I don't know about anyone else but both my M8's take two completely different images when I shoot in DNG+JPG mode. The DNG is always the better of the two images and it doesn't matter whether I'm using AWB or setting it with a Expodisc.

Hello Ed,

I have used WB, cloudy for both shots in JPG, but I think and believe this is a big problem with the M8. With shooting outside there are also shots taken same subject within 2 or 3 seconds of each other and the seond shot has a totally different color, no matter what WB I used.

Theo

In my experience this is, plain and simple, a problem with the M8.

Shooting RAW, auto white balance, it does not show any consistency.

I use a device called a whibal (White Balance Reference - WhiBal Gray Card - Digital Photo RAW Workflow) and then color correct the files in LightRoom.

It is a pain in the rear, but it is a problem with the M8 that remains to be fixed.

--Bob

Hello Robert,

I am agree with you, it is a pain and I hope it get fixed with the next software upgrade.

Theo

Theo

the M8 is just about the least automated digital camera made

I do not understand how you used an ExpoDisc & a preset "WB cloudy"

I always set a manual WB and have found the camera produces very accurate colors using it

I suspect the difference stems from the camera sampling the same area for WB as it does for exposure ...this is just about a spot sample which I would estimate is < 5% of the frame ...very slight differences in the subject could greatly affect the WB when using a preset

the M8 is not a camera that does well with AWB

I find myself correcting every file for color & did so even when I used a camera that had a great AWB system

Theo--

You are correct; there is no reason that the M8 should turn out two images side by side with such a difference in color.

As Arthur said, it sounds strange to use an Expodisc and then set a manual WB. Expodisc is generally used with continuous sources, not strobes, as I understand.

If your camera was set for auto white balance (and you said it wasn't), then this is a known problem: The M8's AWB is horrid.

If your camera was manually set for a particular temperature, then this is strange behavior, but I think I've seen one other poster on the forum with exactly the same problem.

In other words, the problem is ugly and shouldn't occur. If it's AWB, it's a known issue. If it's a manual white balance, it is something that Leica may not be aware of, because many people have said that with manual WB they get consistently excellent results.

Suggestion: Double-check the EXIF data to see that both the shots were set to the same white balance, and double-check the shutter speed to be sure there's not something else going on. (You've probably already done that; just want to be sure.)

Could it be a strobe synch issue? That could still be a camera problem, or a wireless transmitter problem. How do you synch the Elinchroms?

--HC

Theo

Theo,

If you have used an Expodisc but then set to cloudy, you have immediately overridden any manual WB you have input with your Expodisc. I gave up some time ago on AWB and use an Expodisc on Manual Setting. At least if it is wrong, it is consistently wrong and is much easier to correct. I believe we are getting better AWB with the firmware upgrade tomorrow. Sorry if some of this repeats other posts.

Wilson

Hello Guys,

Thank you for all your responses and hints and advise.

I strong believe it is a software problem with the M8, I repeat again, I have also with outside shots the same problems when I shoot 2 shots shortly after each other from the same subject,with WB on daylight or cloudy?

I check out my files try to find an example and post it.

Lets see what the software upgrade bring us.

Still I love the M8.

Theo

Theo

possibly the flash needs more than 2 sec to be fully loaded, and therefore the second one shows a different balance between flash and other lights available

What Joachim said. Should be recorded in the EXIF data if the flash did not fire.

Hello Joachim & Jonathan,

Believe me the flash has fired, if not then the picture was almost black.

The whole photo shoot was around 200 pictures in several different outfits and there is a lot color difference in this serie. Clearly for me a big flaw in the software, it happens also outside with WB on daylight.

But thanks for looking and your comments.

Theo