M8 kit gone now a lurker

bill vann

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I've liquidated my M8 kit for the health reasons mentioned in the ads and earlier.

Thank you all for the kind notes, i'm progressing, much more slowly and painfully than expected.

My M8 is going to a Sargeant deployed in Iraq, my 75 lux will find its way to England. (0 Cron to Jack, and V4 35mm Cron to Sam. Mostly with friends from the boards some i've conversed with, makes it a bit easier.

auditioning an Oly e-510 anti vibration works for my tremors, light enough I can manage the kit with a couple kit zooms (ouch) surprisingly good but.. the oly has nice IQ but it is definitely a step down, oly glass isn't bad and i'm waiting on a leica 25mm Summilux for it. (does this keep me in the club)

Also wanted to mention, despite the odd crabbiness on this board it is one of only 2 boards where people share and treat each other with respect. The other the old Kodak SLR bd on DP.

Will likely move into the lurker mode here but will make a posting on the lux when i get it, it is manufactured by Panasonic for Leica, will see how they do.

Kindly

bill van

Bill, glad to hear you are progressing. When we think of healing, I expect we remember how easy it used to be when we were 18. We'll all send some energy your way.

Glad you'll be lurking and we'll keep our eyes out for your posts.

Best regards, Bill

Dear Bill

Glad to hear from you again and know you're drawing to the anti-shake Oly.

Life and recovery must get easier to have something to hook on and have fun.

Keep sharing and wishing you well and every best in your road of recovery.

- Matthew

Bill,

I'm glad your M8 kit went to good homes. I know it has been a very hard thing for you to have to do.

Good luck on your recovery. Enjoy your new Oly and let us know how it works out for you. Some folks here who can't afford two M8 bodies (like me:( ) might be looking for a backup solution and would be interested in your feelings on the Oly, since you are an experienced M8 user.

-Cindy

Guest tummydoc

Ditto all the sentiments. There are days when I'm convinced that liquidating all my Leicas, especially the M8, would be beneficial to my health and longevity as well :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wish you a rapid recovery and in the meantime you can also join the 4-3 forum. It seems to be a very nice community as well. I own the Leica Digilux 3 with the Zoom Aspherical lens and it is very nice system. It has anti-shake option for your usage. There is a promotion going on and you can get one with the zoom for only $1800.

Here is the forum for you: http://fourthirdsphoto.com/

Hi Pham

A lurker on 4/3s, my brother bought an E-510 (thought it was for me was going to pay him) but he's letting me audition it while he's tied up, had it a couple weeks and may keep it, let him get another. Works pretty well, and extremely light oly glass is great and i can put the leica glass on it as noted. It's 10MP and i can get 16x20s from good captures but haven't gone much beyond that, always subject dependant as well.

looked at a digilux, actually a bit heavy i think, i have a 5 lb carrry weight limit

but also ~7MP. i look at pics not MP, but 7 i think is on the light side. i expect to do a bit more lightweight pro work and print fairly large.

Never did a DMR but have a 13.7MP full frame Kodak SLR/c that under the right conditions (cranky cameras they are) it does better than the M8. but the M8 pushed really big looks so film like the "noise" is a positive part of the image. (had a mix of lenses including a few leicas on the kodak)

any comments on large prints from the digilux 3 or care to share a raw capture you think is good and representtive of what it can do. I have a 24" printer so would push it.

also not sure how i feel about the viewfinder, looked at one at a leica day while my M8 was on order. i came away with mixed feelings.

thanks for the kind thoughts

bill vann

You might take a look at the Pentax 10D as well, it's 28.0 oz. with battery and card. Pentax makes some tiny very high quality primes and soon you will be able to get Zeiss lenses as well. Anti-shake in body. Good luck.

Best of luck Bill and I will look forward to your Olympus observations.

My M8 is going to a Sargeant deployed in Iraq,

Wow, those soldiers sure do get kitted out well nowadays! There are some great images coming from M8 equipped soldiers already.

HI Bill

Glad you got it all sorted, and glad it's all gone to good homes. I'm sure you'll like the 510 - mine does sterling work (I shot a wedding last weekend with the M8 and the E510, and it acquitted itself very well).

All the best wishes with your recovery - here's hoping it takes a sudden turn for the better.

Godspeed your full recovery to take full advantage of the surprising M10 announcement and unveiling at the next Photokina...

OK, one item in the above was a bit fanciful. But God can speed your recovery and we all do wish it so!

(As for future product plans in Solms, there are some mysteries that finds even The Almighty scratching His head at the end of the day.)

-g