28mm f/5.6 Summaron is Awesome! Review

Revolver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wanted to share my first impressions of the mini 28mm f5.6 summaron lens:

I wanted to get this lens for street photography ever since it came out and finally pulled the trigger. I was a little skeptical of its output having seen both good and bad shots on reviews with the lens, but wanted first hand experience and to finally scratch that 28mm daido moriyama itch.

After the opening a nice black box and admiring this silver jewel for a moment in my hand, I quickly attached it to M10 and went searching for some test shots on a clear but cloudy day. I shoot my film M/A at f5.6 on bright sunny days so wasn’t worried by its lack of low light capabilities.

The reverse position of the focusing tab takes some getting used to, really not very hard, and for closer subjects you need to take a step back than what is normal for other lenses, as you need more distance to bring things in focus. But from the moment I started snapping away I felt the same wonder and joy that you do with other Leica lenses.

After an hour or so of taking photos this is what I noticed most: the center of this lens is very sharp but not in a clinical way; there is a smoothness to images; some shots do not produce vignetting but some do which, gives it the “classical” feel and really sets off objects in a cool way; its kind of an unpredictable lens which i like and comes down to personal preference; color accuracy was very good and no different than my 50mm summilux & 35mm summicron; the size of the lens is perfect for adding a 3rd lens to my small leather street bag.

Overall, I’m very pleased with my decision to get this lens. Not only imbued with a piece of Leica history but also very capable of producing cool images in daylight conditions. I personally think this is one of those special lenses to own that captures unique qualities rather than the clinical kind you find everywhere else. Unlike, with other leica lenses where i expected images to be great, i was expecting this one to be less so, but was proven wrong. It really is a great little lens and has exceeded my expectations. Thank you Leica for making this!

• Like 1

Welcome, here Revolver.

Some 58 pages of discussions with so may nice photos from  Summaron-M 5.6/28mm :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265598-leica-summaron-28/?page=58

click this link

You are not alone who appreciate this little jewel that takes good pictures 😊.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2