50 apo our 50 Noctilux? Help

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, mmradman said:

Re posts #14 and #17 in handling terms APO 50mm is similar to Summilux ASPH, with slightly shorter barrel and wider focus ring it seems aperture ring is closer than Summilux.  I don't recall aperture error in actual use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for posting this image as it reminds me that the slightly increased diameter of the aperture ring compared to the focus ring also made it more likely that I would catch it by accident. 

I should add that coming from SLRs I am not a natural user of the focus tab, and often resorted to gripping the knurling on the focus ring.  For a focus tab user this could be a non-issue.

(And in spite of my moaning I have to admit that I am tempted to re-acquire this lens at some point.  The image quality in such a small package is incredible)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mmradman said:

Re posts #14 and #17 in handling terms APO 50mm is similar to Summilux ASPH, with slightly shorter barrel and wider focus ring it seems aperture ring is closer than Summilux.  I don't recall aperture error in actual use.

The most bothersome aspect for me is that the focus ring on the APO is not fully knurled around the entire lens like the Summilux.  One can see in the pic that the compact design of the APO places the distance scale adjacent to the knurled ring as opposed to its own band beneath the focus ring as on the Summilux.  This saves space, but makes fine focus control on the APO via the knurled ring (not the tab) more difficult.

Jeff

• Like 1

Both APO Summicron and Summilux ASPH have short focus throw of 90 degrees, when shooting in either landscape or portrait orientation I find there is plenty of grip on both lenses focus ring.

it must be down to personal preferences if some people find APO more diffucult to use than the other.

• Like 1

Those lenses couldn’t be more different. 

I currently own the f0.95 Nocti and the f1.4  Lux, which I added recently cause sometimes the Nocti is simply too bulky for me and the Lux has a way shorter focus throw, which makes it a lot faster to focus. 

For me the 50/1.4 Summilux is a bang for the buck and gives you the best out of both worlds. 

I‘ll still keep my Noctilux, cause at f0.95 it’s simply magical. See below.

Edited by SMAL
  • Like 15

I'm not interested in summicron 50 apo. maybe the price and i prefer the faster aperture like sumilux (It doesn't mean it's not perfect lens but it's not my type). For me i still prefer the noctilux because the picture from noctilux looks different and looks more creamy and good in low light.

PS. I have had SL 50summilux, that's fantastic lens but too heavy for me that i decided to sell it and bought the m version.

• Like 1