50 apo our 50 Noctilux? Help

Kamyar

In my personal onion best current 50mm M lens is APO Summicron, it is as described by some reviewers as being "transparent" and introduces little or no optical anomalies between the image and the sensor. It is also small and F2 is sufficiently fast on modern digital camera, especially M246.

Noctilux is on the other hand is most expensive but also the fastest and fattest.  In my mind extra fast optics is vestige from film days where optical correction was sacrificed for a benefit of being able to get the shot in the poor light.

• Like 2

These are two completely different lenses, and comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. If you want extreme bokeh, nothing compares to the Noctilux. But in all other respects I would say the 50 APO is best. 

The 50mm Summilux ASPH is something between, regarding sharpness and bokeh. And because of the much lower price it is also the best choice for most of us.

• Like 1

Neither lens is "better" than the other one.

Mostly personal and other can have some idea, but can not choose for you.

I have opinion only for 50mm Noctilux f/1.0 my old companion, the best lens on it's kind that no other can compare (for me even not the f/0.95 Noctilux)

Two ways (as always) to obtain the right answer :

- buy both then compare them side by side

- buy one now, use it then maybe later buy the other if the first one is not satisfactory buy/use

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you can have more than one 50mm, there's much to be said for having both a 50mm Noctilux and a 50mm Summicron. If you can only have one 50mm lens, the 50mm Summilux ASPH, for my money, combines the best of both worlds - you get modern sharpness, dreamy backgrounds at full aperture, and a very compact design.

• Like 2

@Kamyar hits the nail on the head in my opinion. The f/2.0 APO Summicron is the best 50mm lens in Leica's catalogue.

Noctilux f/0.95 is heavy and blocks the viewfinder, Summilux f/1.4 is still bulky and heavy. APO Summicron takes perfect photos between f/2.0 or f/16. It is small, light, and doesn't block the viewfinder. There is no reason to ignore the best lens Leica has made except the price. It is expensive ... but cheaper than the Noctilux which has limited usage potential because its DOF is just too narrow for general purpose photography.

• Like 1

I rented the 50 APO Summicron to compare with my 50 Summilux ASPH.  I prefer the Summilux ergonomically, as the compact Summicron design places the focus ring and aperture ring tightly together, without a fully knurled focus ring.  And as with many recent M lenses, the aperture ring on the APO was far too loose (same on 3 samples).  While correctable, this is a pain.  The more recent LHSA version corrects these issues for me, but at far greater cost and at the expense of the retractable hood (albeit probably with better flare protection).

Both lenses, though, like most all Leica M lenses, are superb optically and more than capable of great results.  Or not, depending on the user and his/her techniques and preferences.

Jeff

• Like 5

Hi all

I have both and had before the LUX. Both are very different in everything. However I agree, if you're looking for a "general purpose" lens and if you would spend a lot of money, the "best" choice is APO50. However each lens, including all 50mm lenses form Leica, Zeiss and Voigtländer a "good" lenses but all are different.  What is best? the more correct question is what is the best compromise? in size, IQ, handling, colour rendering, investment,...

Here after some images to show you the difference:

APO50 > https://flic.kr/s/aHsmePPd8i

NOC50 > https://www.flickr.com/gp/siggigun/r55T00

PS: Today, my preferrt use of the Noctilux is "Wedding photography" after starting with "Bokeh fantasies",...

• Like 2

Perhaps you might also consider the SL 50 1.4 summilux, for use on the SL and T.  Supposedly it will do as well as the 50 M f2 app lens @ 1.4 as the 50 M app does @ f2. Pre-owned prices are fairly reasonable these days, too.

With the SL 50 1.4 you will get AF at the expense of a big lens.

If you want perfection, its the SL 50 or M50 apo option.  If you want stunning and unique character, its the noctilux. (And, nothing stops you from shooting the Noctilux @ f2, either, should the situation call for it).  

All great choices.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff S said:

compact Summicron design places the focus ring and aperture ring tightly together, without a fully knurled focus ring.

Entirely agree with you Jeff.  I can't argue that the lens is optically superb, but I found that in handling terms it wasn't a good match for me.

Was slightly disappointed in this respect, as the rigid summicron and v2 50mm Summilux that I own both have aperture rings that are well separated from the focus ring, and their aperture rings have much firmer 'clicks'.  It bothered me that with the apo I often accidentally turned the aperture ring when focussing.

• Like 1

Re posts #14 and #17 in handling terms APO 50mm is similar to Summilux ASPH, with slightly shorter barrel and wider focus ring it seems aperture ring is closer than Summilux.  I don't recall aperture error in actual use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

50/2.0 APO.

Superb for everything, small, fast enough to isolate the subject and give excellent 3d rendering. I prefer this, although for the SL my 'go to' lens for ultimate quality is the SL 75/2. 

The Noctilux is a one trick pony and the ultra narrow DOF only works for certain images ..... and becomes a touch samey after a while. With ever increasing good quality high ISO images on digital, the need for a very fast aperture in low light is less of an issue. A lot of money to carry about something as heavy as a brick for the extra few stops. Is fine on the SL but very unbalanced on the TL in particular. Also bear in mind that accurate focussing wide open on a RF camera is pretty hit and miss as the DOF is razor thin ...... and with portraits you will have either ears, eyes or nose in focus, and if not 'face on' just one eye at that ...... Some may like this, but to me it can often look odd rather than attractive. 

It is however a marvel of optical engineering and is a good long term investment ...... mine is worth several thousand euros more than when I bought it .... and as it is a 'speciality' lens it has had only limited use and is in mint condition ... 😃

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2