SL 75 or 90?

Timkr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was out at a local festival yesterday using the SL + 35/f1.4 . Now, I choose the 35 to take as i was not sure how many venues there would be and with a lot of people it made sense to take the 35, the 24-90 requires a bigger bag and i was on a bike where I don't have that much room. But when I got there the venues were more shops to buy stuff but many of the people were dressed up for the occasion making it a great street shooting experience.

So with the 35 I had to get in tight with the subjects, this kinda freaked out a couple of people who i asked to stop and pose, then getting the focus right as i wanted to shoot wide open to try and blur out the background as much as possible, as it was stupid busy and me not being the only photographer. This is a tricky combination to achieve, sharp eyes at 1.4/2.0 and blurred background from a 35mm.

This adventure got me thinking about my next lens, one of the new SL 75 / 90 lenses. I have spent many hours looking through reviews of these lens. Its been widely known the 85f/1.4 is a portrait lens, the optics from both the 75 and 90 i heard are stellar. I am looking for a lens for head shots or 3/4 body, best bokeh, AF and sharp. One of these lenses must be better than the other for this or do i need to look else where. I finally found what I like to shoot, extreme depth of field 3/4 body or head shots with eyes crystal clear. If you nail the shot, composition, lighting, just the right smile the outcome is amazing and captivates the viewer.

Anyway, if someone can show some people examples wide open from both lenses that would be great.

Thx 

Edited by Jenningsmca

You’ll find some people shots with several lenses and cameras on Street Silhouettes, some with the 75 Summicron-SL here: http://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2018/3/24/leica-75mm-f125-noctilux-m-asph-part-ii. They all take nice pictures which kind of look the same. At the end of day, the gear is not important. Just buy either of the Summicron-SL lenses, or both. Perhaps add the 75 Noctilux-M as a bonus. For people shots, Sony is nice, too, with the 85/1.4 GM, if you and your models can stand the AF motor noise.

Edited by Chaemono

Just one more thing. Be aware that with the 75 Noctilux-M wide open one usually only gets one eye in focus. I learned to live with it.

Less compressed JPEG here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-ThBZL6/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 200 f/1.25 @1/250 sec.

• Like 1

I finally found what I like to shoot, extreme depth of field 3/4 body or head shots with eyes crystal clear.

Only eyelashes crystal clear, I guess, but beautiful blur.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-ThBZL6/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 200 f/1.25 @1/2000 sec.

• Like 5

Only eyelashes crystal clear, I guess, but beautiful blur.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-ThBZL6/

attachicon.gifJelena Matovic-9_lufv.jpg

ISO 200 f/1.25 @1/2000 sec.

The photos and depth of field are impressive however, for me the price of a Noct lens is out of my league. I must stick to what i can save up for, the SL f/2.0 lenses. I understand they do not have as much of an impressive oof render.

BTW, i really love the last photo, the woman looks like she is photoshopped into the photo. 

Thanks for sharing,

Edited by Jenningsmca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL-75 @ f.2, ISO 400, 1/90. Only minor skin retouching. 
Normally I use the 90mm for Headshots and the 75 for half body. But this lady asked me for a quick headshot during a commercial photoshoot and the 75mm was already attached. 

1110-HRPunks.jpg

• Like 14