A Leica as old as me?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unlike humans, or most living creatures, Leica's aren't 'born' on a specific date.

I think every Leica camera (and lens) has a specific date assigned to it's "birthday".

Here is a copy from a Leitz "delivery ledger" from 1939:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/281957-leica-reporter-250-…-extract-from-leitz-delivery-ledger-query/

The dates on the very left of the serial numbers are the "birthdays" - i.e. dates of final production. The dates in the third column show the delivery dates.

I have no positive knowledge of their present system, but I am rather sure they use more ore less the same structure for their production reports still today - probably digitalized.

For some years now the boxes have a badge with a digital code and a specific date. This date probably is not the date of production but the date of packaging or the date when it leaves the factory. Unfortunately this was only introduced some years later than 2000, so the original poster won't find a box with his birthday on the badge.

Btw.: 27. October 2000 was a friday. Usually the friday is a normal working day even in Germany... ;)

But in 2000 camera production by Leica was much, much lower than today. It could even be that no camera at all was finished on this specific date. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 film Leicas.  One was made the year the Hindenburgh crashed, one the year NASCAR was founded, and two the year of the moon landing.  Somewhat more historically significant events than me emerging from the womb :D

Well we don’t now what kind of amazing things I am going to do for the world, but maybe I can make my own birth special. It’s at least a nice goal to strive for, don’t you think?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I bought my IIIc in 1946 when I was 23 years old; however, I gave it to my son, born in 1949, who passed it on to my grandson, born in 1973 - - and it is still being used with B&W film.   I wonder if my great grandson, born in 2017, will inherit it?

Edited by gberger
  • Like 5

That's how i started with Leica. Wasn't sure what to buy...so went for a IIIc (f mod), and a Summicron born when i was.

I still use my Summicron, a collapsible, which took three purchases to find one without scratches on the lens or barrel...and the right date. Soon it got stiff and gummy. After a CLA...it's probably my favourite lens.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

I am touched by the good spirit shown by those who want a birthday Leica. My family wasn't so sophisticated. My grandfather gave me a lens and said, "You know what this is, Jacques? It's an ant burner!"

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am touched by the good spirit shown by those who want a birthday Leica. My family wasn't so sophisticated. My grandfather gave me a lens and said, "You know what this is, Jacques? It's an ant burner!"

Ha.. ant burner! I have done that as innocent 6 years old with the magnifying glass that my Dad gave me hoping to make me a scientist :)
  • Like 1

I bought a M4 from 1968 about 3 years ago, for the same reason, it's my year of birth. 

I'm lusting after a black paint M4 from 1968 ... a significant year in recent history as you would probably agree!

Oh, hello, mid life crisis!

Edited by anachronist

Unfortunately, I bought my IIIc in 1946 when I was 23 years old; however, I gave it to my son, born in 1949, who passed it on to my grandson, born in 1973 - - and it is still being used with B&W film.   I wonder if my great grandson, born in 2017, will inherit it?

This is what it's all about! With a little servicing over the years it works and works and works ...

I'm lusting after a black paint M4 from 1968 ... a significant year in recent history as you would probably agree!

How much do you lu$t. :) I have one, never used but with a non-black rear door due to an error in my handling. 100% functional and pristine. It has been put away in storage for about forty years.

Picture here.

Are sure you would not prefer an original black M2 :)

Edited by pico

How much do you lu$t. :) I have one, never used but with a non-black rear door due to an error in my handling. 100% functional and pristine. It has been put away in storage for about forty years.

Picture here.

Are sure you would not prefer an original black M2 :)

Oh, that's fuel in the fire! Beautiful! From a batch of 140 in 1968.

Jonah, in the UK you can find M6TTL for under £1500,so I’m not sure where you’re looking in Europe that says €3000 unless you are referring to the 2000 black paint millennium special edition?

Another much cheaper idea would be a Minilux with the fixed 40mm f2.4 summarit that was produced 1997-2002 but definitely in 2000. I know it’s not an M but when I get the slides back I can’t tell if they were taken on an M with 35 f2 asph or minilux. The way to tell is that all the minilux are exposed correctly and in focus where there is more scope for errors with manual M6,7,P.

Some guys have had the funny error code on minilux earlier version but I’ve been lucky with mine from ~2002 £550 new.

Used minilux £250 in UK. It’ll get you addicted to the Leica quality glass.

The viewfinder is 0.3x magnification so you’re a bit disconnected when compared with a M bright rangefinder 0.72x

Max shutter speed is 1/500th so best to use slow films like Provia 100F or velvia 50. Once the battery says 2/3 bars it’s actually on its last legs so have a new one ready CR123.

But if you can find a black M6TTL in your budget go for it.

Regards, Lincoln

Hi Jonah

You should, of course, go for the M6TTL Black Paint, aka Millennium. It looks like an MP, having the old M3-type rewind, but has the larger shutterspeed dial which I personally prefer since it is much easier to turn with the index finger. Plus the dial turns in the same direction not only as the light meter's arrows but as the aperture ring on newer lenses which makes for a very intuitive camera. The Millennium can usually be found for considerably less than the MP, which in my opinion is a bit of a rip-off camera, plus it actually celebrates something having been issued in connection with the new millennium in a limited edition of 2000 copies. Make one yours, if funds allow, and it will also be relevant to your birthdate. You won't regret it. 

Br

Philip

31104985844_a64f2a67b4_b.jpg

Flickr

203FE 80/2.0+16E Portra 400

Thank you for your response, a re-birthing ceremony sounds like a good idea! I was just looking on eBay and someone is selling an Leica m6 year of the dragon and what really crazy is that it’s the 4th one and my lucky number is 4! If that isn’t coincidence I don’t know what is.

It’s really a shame that €3000+ is just too expensive for me right now, it would’ve been so cool to own a camera with the year 2000 AND my lucky number.

The search continues...

Thanks again for all the response so far

• Like 2