Lens Body Combination

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys
I am going on another safari to Tanzania in September this year. My planned equipment to take will be;
Nikon D500
Nikon D810
Nikon 600mm f4 (latest one)
Nikon 100/400mm (latest one I think)

My thinking is to put the D500 with the 600mm lens to give me ~900mm for the far away stuff, and the D810 with the 100/400mm...........is that what you would do??

When I was in Tanzania two years ago, I took way to much gear (3 x bodies & 3 x big lenses nightmare). The truth of the matter is I used D800e plus 600mm 95% of the time with the rest with my D4s & 70/200mm

Neil

Having been before, we should becoming to you for advice,,Neil.  Think you answered your own question in last sentence.

I guess but I miss all you guys so hence the question :)

I wanted to add that last time I was in Tanzania I wanted to also take my s007 but due to the lack of long Leica lenses with AF I decided to leave it at home............why couldn't I edit my initial question......strange

Neil

I’ve just been offered a mint HC300 plus 1.7 TC which would give me an equivalent focal length of 321mm.

That would certainly be a lot lighter than all that other stuff. Throw in the 50mm II and HC100MM and I’m cooking by gas.......... decisions decisions

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which gives you F8 as widest aperture....handheld?

Hay Otto

It says there is a -1.5 stops in Aperture so with the HC300mm which has a f4.5 minimum aperture .......does that make it f6 or something else??

Also The seringitti in September is sunny so plenty of light so shooting at f8, 11, or 16 is most likely where I will be shooting durning the day at ISO64, early morning and at dusk I can bump the ISO to 6400 and still get good IQ on that COSMO 100c sensor

On the hand held bitty

I am using the same guide as last time and the set up I will have this time is the same as last time. I will have my ball head on a adapter secured to the Jeep roof on the left hand side of the jeep, my guide who also is a keen photographer will when possible line up the left hand side of the jeep so that I can shoot from the ball head and he will also kill the engine. If the picture moves to the other side of the jeep then we have bean bags there...........

The last time I was there I gun hooed it and shot up to 3000 pictures a day..............nightmare. This time I want to enjoy Africa and take pictures as and when I see something special

Neil

I would carry the following:

2 Camera bodies (identical bodies best)

4 Camera batteries to match bodies

2 Camera battery chargers to match bodies

12 Memory Cards or 40 rolls of 36-exposure film

1 Memory Card Reader

1 Long telephoto lens (400mm f/5.6 or 500mm f/4)

1 Medium telephoto lens (80-200mm f/2.8) (180mm f/2.8) (50-140mm f/2.8)

1 Wide lens (20-35mm f/2.8) (35mm f/1.4) (16-55mm f/2.8)

1 Teleconverter (1.7X or 2X)

• Like 1

Hay Otto

It says there is a -1.5 stops in Aperture so with the HC300mm which has a f4.5 minimum aperture .......does that make it f6 or something else??

Also The seringitti in September is sunny so plenty of light so shooting at f8, 11, or 16 is most likely where I will be shooting durning the day at ISO64, early morning and at dusk I can bump the ISO to 6400 and still get good IQ on that COSMO 100c sensor

On the hand held bitty

I am using the same guide as last time and the set up I will have this time is the same as last time. I will have my ball head on a adapter secured to the Jeep roof on the left hand side of the jeep, my guide who also is a keen photographer will when possible line up the left hand side of the jeep so that I can shoot from the ball head and he will also kill the engine. If the picture moves to the other side of the jeep then we have bean bags there...........

The last time I was there I gun hooed it and shot up to 3000 pictures a day..............nightmare. This time I want to enjoy Africa and take pictures as and when I see something special

Neil

Oh I thought 1.7TC means -1.7 makes F7.6 but if Hassel says -1.5 it’ll be so. But knowing you I’d go for MF and take a concise package with 50, 100 and 300. You can always crop the leopard out of the tree with that sensor. The whole Nikon bulk will suck your attention more than the landscape itself, especially because of the two formats, you’ll keep on figuring out and changing lenses. Edited by otto.f

I would carry the following:

2 Camera bodies (identical bodies best)

4 Camera batteries to match bodies

2 Camera battery chargers to match bodies

12 Memory Cards or 40 rolls of 36-exposure film

1 Memory Card Reader

1 Long telephoto lens (400mm f/5.6 or 500mm f/4)

1 Medium telephoto lens (80-200mm f/2.8) (180mm f/2.8) (50-140mm f/2.8)

1 Wide lens (20-35mm f/2.8) (35mm f/1.4) (16-55mm f/2.8)

1 Teleconverter (1.7X or 2X)

Pretty much what I brought along for the trip with the exception I took only one digital camera, Leica CL (performed great, and crop sensor gave me extra reach with Leica R lenses) and I brought my R6.2. I recommend one non-electric film camera. If the digital fails or the weather turns wet, you have a backup that won't fail.

• Like 1