Rumour - Fuji to discontinue Acros 100

Keith (M)

Not good news Keith, but to be fair the closest I have come to Acros was the film simulation within my X-Pro2.

Delta 100 for me any day, and this sort of news can only be music to the ears of the likes of Ilford et al.

Gary

It has been 'known' for some time that Fujifilm have ceased production of some traditional films (as opposed to Instax).  What stock there is will not be replaced and that's a blow for those like myself who use Acros almost exclusively in both medium format and 35mm. 

Fujifilm have been known in the past to reverse such decisions in the face of user demand.  Remember the Velvia saga.  I get the feeling this is final, though.

Edited by Ouroboros

I don't get it, though. What am I missing?

I ask as someone who uses both a Leica film camera and an SX-70. I more than see the point in instant, in other words, not to mention in 35mm film - I just don't get Instax.

Instax as a viable medium is directly related to the cameras that Fujifilm manufactures and sells and many more they do not, including moblie phones and other devices.  Consider the potential market growth there for Instax 

Traditional film is not relevant to anything Fujifilm currently do or will do in the future.  Had it been viable for Fujifilm to progress with the GW670 and GFW670 range of cameras, the outcome may have been different for their traditional films for a while longer. 

Who really knows!  Fujifilm is not run by photographers.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 2

According to a tweet by JapanCameraHunter:-

Japan Camera Hunter has a long history of negative postings about Fujifilm. He may well be right here but he isn’t a source that I trust. I’d wait until an official announcement. That said, if you like the film, now would be a good time to stock up.

I have no idea who or what Japan Camera Hunter is and I haven't followed the OP's link to it, so I'm none the wiser on that.  What I can say is that this rumour is not new, it's been doing the rounds within the industry for some time.  I'm sure Fujifilm will explain their decision eventually, but I have a feeling it won't be good news if, like myself, you are a Fuji Acros user.

I saw it coming after Fuji pulled out of several color films last year. Opposite trend compared to others who release now again formerly no longer produced film (Ferrania P30, Kodak TMax P3200 etc). I stopped using Acros 100 since I couldn't get it in 100' roll format. And the 35 mm cartridges were too expensive IMO compared to others I like, for example FP4+ 125. So for me it is no loss, but overall I am not sure if Fuji realized that there is a trend to go back to film. 

Another great emulsion bites the dust.  We who shoot film are being painted into an ever shrinking corner.  :huh:

That's not the case at all. It might be country-specific, but here in the US there is clearly a trend back to film. C't Fotografie journal published in Germany recently had a full article about the trend back to analog photography which pointed out the US where the trend is clearly visible. That one company cuts back on film doesn't mean that others do the same - the opposite is in fact the case, others are expanding again. 

• Like 1

I went into my local camera store on Friday for the first time in a few months. I buy my black and white chemicals there but generally not film because their selection was always very poor and expensive. I was pleasantly surprised to find they had expanded their film offerings considerably and had a note that many more films were in stock but stored in a refrigerator.

Their used film camera case was half full, they told me that cameras sell out almost as fast as they come in. I got all excited when I saw a 135mm Hektor LTM for $60. That price reflected the impressive cleaning marks on the front element, I left it there (was that a mistake)?

• Like 2

The future of Instax looks more promising to Fuji than that of any other film. Am I getting this wrong?

In 2015 Fuji(film) builded a new factory for Instax film, to be operational early 2016, because they could not keep up the demand. Indeed, in the end of 2015 some retailers could not deliver Instax film. So, in my opinion, the only film that will remain from Fuji is their very profitable Instax instant film line.

Best