M-D Discontinued?

glasscain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This M-D pro-con discussion reminds me of those elsewhere with the Nikon/Canon guys needling the Leica "fan boys". :D

I too could not resist the lure of the M-D, though I have two M-8 and a 240, having sold the M9. There's just something compelling about the M-D for me...

I would agree with the first respondent that Leica surely made a limited batch that are now getting thin on the ground. It will be interesting to see if they consider this niche within a niche as having a future! In the meantime, will those who wish to buy an M-D feel some anxiety? Will a shortage of product raise prices?

Edited by Dougg
  • Like 1

M10-D was on my wish-list before buying/using M-D.

Now I doubt if I'll buy one (M10-D if that's the new name) as:

- nothing I can complain about the M-D

- I appreciate the looonnnggg battery life of M-D, maybe less with the will-be-released M10-D

- the handling is as good as can be with some time using it, no need of thinner body

- my next step would be later M-10 Monochrom, better yet if it's available with no LCD screen :)

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

By the way, I read somewhere the whole M240 range is being phased out (heard the rumour from member Paulus)

That would make sense. Certainly the stock of older models is being heavily discounted through the dealer network at the moment. I doubt that Leica are building any more.

Edited by wattsy

• 2 months later...

Looks like the camera store was right. BH photo now lists this camera as discontinued and a Leica rumours article also confirms it.

Despite the M-D being discontinued the rest of the 240/262 line seems to live on. Strange.

Andrew

• Like 1

That would make sense. Certainly the stock of older models is being heavily discounted through the dealer network at the moment. I doubt that Leica are building any more.

If M10 and CL are doung well, they are undoubtedly concentratie theorie resources on those models.

Now I doubt if I'll buy one (M10-D if that's the new name) as:

- nothing I can complain about the M-D

- I appreciate the looonnnggg battery life of M-D, maybe less with the will-be-released M10-D

- the handling is as good as can be with some time using it, no need of thinner body

Spot-on analysis right there.

• Like 2

Until now, M-D is dream camera came true for me.

I'm happy that I changed my mind after buying M10 (which I appreciate what it is), but M-D haunted me.

Then some months later I've found M-D and use it happy-go-lucky (with pleasure more than other M).

I knew that (maybe) there was only one or two batches of M-D (type 262), so I took chance.

^_^

The last-in-shop M-D in Montpellier, "demo" model for 5390€ with two years warranty (I don't have any link to this selling), if someone is interested to buy one:

http://www.photocomedie.com/fr/vente/12810-leica-m-d-materiel-de-demo.html

• Like 1

Some months ago I swapped my Q for a used M-D. It was my dream-camera. A digital camera without bells and whistles. Not burdened by features and not even burdened by a screen. Every time I use it, it is a very enjoyable experience! I understand Leica has stopped production, a camera like this is not everyone's cup of tea. I hope it will be working for a long time. 

• Like 1

The M-D is my hands-down, most loved, camera since cameras became computers. Previous loves were the M6 and Nikon F2.

Anyone want to proffer an opinion of what will happen to the dollar value in the short and long term given the M-D’s comparatively short production run?

I doubt they will exceed $4,000 US for an excellent condition secondhand model. They are relatively rare, but it’s also a niche product with small demand. Prices for the M-D will also face downward pressure from ever-decreasing M 240 prices. There’s only so much of a premium over the M 240 that M-D buyers can countenance.