Getting back in with Leica S

xiaubauu2009

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Window shopping at the usual camera store over the weekend and I have discover a S006 + S70 second hand for about 5500USD... maybe it's time to get back in.

There's also a S2P + S70 selling cheaper than a second hand M9-P.

Incredible value now, and I have always prefer the CCD color over the 007 CMOS...

Edited by xiaubauu2009
  • Like 2

Haha, you have a short memory that forget all the pain S brought you. However, have you think about if you get this combo, you might want get more lenses, then you are back to this muddy land. LOL

For portrait, I have yet to see a better camera than S CCD and glass as long as there is enough light.

I personally don’t see any other MF system suit me better, though it is hard to justify any MF system given how good D850 can be. A16 bit 35mm system will be the ticket, I doubt it will ever happen though.

It is a good time to pick S system as I feel it is undervalued right now though ultimately it is the market define the price.

Haha, you have a short memory that forget all the pain S brought you. However, have you think about if you get this combo, you might want get more lenses, then you are back to this muddy land. LOL

For portrait, I have yet to see a better camera than S CCD and glass as long as there is enough light.

I personally don’t see any other MF system suit me better, though it is hard to justify any MF system given how good D850 can be. A16 bit 35mm system will be the ticket, I doubt it will ever happen though.

It is a good time to pick S system as I feel it is undervalued right now though ultimately it is the market define the price.

Well, I do have memory like an amoeba....

It's easier to forget once I play around with S006 files last night....

Old photos from 2015 re-edited...

25684825988_20d21674fb_k.jpg

Edited by xiaubauu2009
  • Like 5

I though x1d is in 16 bit flow. One thing I consider it over GFX.

It's not. The sensor is from Sony and it's only 14bit. Hasselblad make it a 16bit files, to store 14bit of information and market it till death that they are 16bit but when asked how do they get 16bit info, they kept quiet and direct your attention that 16bit info has more than just 4times more info than 14bit info... Anyway, it's definitely not 16bit. Those 2 extra bit are just noise or empty info. Proven... 

It's really disgusting.

The X1D is a good concept, but not really mature... the lens is terrible compare to Fuji's. Those hexagonal bokeh... big fail.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If anything, nobody can deny the biggie, amenable photo cells of the Leica S sensor. Beautiful as long as the ISO is in the lower territory... (talking about S006, in my case).

Hopefully, a higher res-sensor with up-to-date technology will deliver pixels with corresponding quality in good light, and much improved low-light characteristics.

The high-res, top-end sensor of Leica's current offerings is likely that of the CL/TL2. If further improved, hardware and/or software wise, and put in the S, we are in for a very interesting upgrade.

Move over some of the goodies from the SL, introduce a high-end zoom (or two zooms) and a long lens, give us a high-res live view and updated af, allow long shutter speeds without noise reduction, keep the system handholdable, improve customer services, and keep the cost at sub-astronomical levels - and I am ready for upgrading/diving deeper into the S-system.

Time will tell. In the meantime, more day-dteaming while playing with the 006...

Underpriced is an understatement. The T system lenses were selling cheap in 2017 until the new cameras were released. They shot back up in price, used and new. The same could happen with the S system and the release of the new body.

Window shopping at the usual camera store over the weekend and I have discover a S006 + S70 second hand for about 5500USD... maybe it's time to get back in.

There's also a S2P + S70 selling cheaper than a second hand M9-P.

Incredible value now, and I have always prefer the CCD color over the 007 CMOS...

What do you miss about the S now?

Compared to which camera, please? Didn't you find a way to adjust color to your liking in post processing? Just wondering.

Well, normally I use Phase, and was never 100% satisfied... either I have 0 skill at editing in C1 or my P1 is crooked...

I always find Leica S files to have a very nice grey blue tint to it when you start playing around with the DR. I really like it...

• Like 2