The M10 and portrait photography

TinyTempo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are a few portraits taken with a M10 and a 90 mm Elmarit M. My granddaughter Lily.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

My grand daughter Kali.

• Like 1

My grand daughter Lexi.

• Like 1

I use the M10 for field portraits all the time.

Here are 5 shots in two posts (a couple I may have used before but they are already reduced to circa 150 to 250 KB for easy posting.)

28mm Elmarit-M ASPH

ISO 200

35mm Summicron-M

ISO 100

50 mm Summilux

ISO 100

Edited by coupdefoudre
  • Like 2

M10

75mm APO

ISO 1000

75 Summilux

ISO 600

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just ordered a 75mm Summilux f/1.4, which is going to replace my 50mm Summilux f/1.4 ASPH. Sometimes I felt that I didn't get close enough to the subject, and I don't need ultra sharp images. I am looking forward to the beautiful bokeh and rendering, so I hope this will be the perfect portrait lens for me.

The 75 Lux is a great lens and (I believe) easier to use on the M10 than on previous Ms. But!  It does take a bit of practice, especially if one mostly sticks to the rangefinder instead of Live View or the VisoFlex.

I think you will find trying to hold the camera out in front of you to use the Live View a tiring exercise as the 75 Lux is a big beast. This practice does not carry much of an M 'feel', either. I do have the VisoFlex but have not used it for more than a few shots as it also does not have the quick M feel that I am used to and have a decent rate of success with. Call me old-fashioned but simply bringing the camera up to my eye with the focus near where I want it is my method; move to the focus point - and not past it second-guessing myself, and bang, trip the shutter.

The bad news, however, is that the 75 Lux has a long focus throw and no tab so it cannot be pre-focused like many Leica lenses. Eventually I might buy an aftermarket Tab and see if it works for me.

And... oh yes, the depth of field on the 75 Lux is narrower than on any other Leica lens, including the 0.95 Noctilux. Not sure how it compares to the newly announced 75 Noctilux, tho.

• Like 1

One of the best Leica portraitists ever is Lise Sarfati IMO.

All 35mm lens all the time...can't say if I know of anyone who does it better - this is subjective of course but it helps to reference compelling work when thinking about how you're going to use your own tool. I don't find the work in this thread to be indicative of interesting portraiture or referencing where a Leica might be a good tool. Yes, a 75 mm lens will flatten space give you some separation and look like a 75mm lens on any 35mm camera. So what? The nature of the bokeh is completely secondary in portraiture - if that's the concern then one might be forgetting the important things. 

I like her work also.  However, many of her images  are from a distance showing the whole body or more -- not the classic "head and shoulders" type portrait that benefits from a longer lens focal length. From her perspective, a 35mm is indeed quite appropriate.

This highlights what we mean by PORTRAIT.  The more I see and the more work I do, the more I find that (unless you're doing passport "portraits") setting the subject in context usually gives a much more satisfying image than the "head and shoulders" aesthetic that seems to drive many of the images presented here.  

Consider:

https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-culture/fashion/henri-cartier-bresson-photoportraits/

http://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&VBID=2K1HZO4NLCQCQC&SMLS=1&RW=1329&RH=880

While there are shots that are head and shoulders (like the one of Cantona you'll find if you scroll lower down), I'd say the majority of images here are taken with the 35 / 50 focal length lenses.

Likewise, check the Taylor Wessing Portrait Competition images:

https://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/twppp-2017/exhibition/past-winners/

Moral?  If you're doing very conventional bread & butter studio portraits I'm not sure that Leica is always the best anyway.  Large or medium format with highly controlled lighting might be the way to go.  If you like contextualised portraiture (which I do), then a 75 is always good to have in the bag (I'm VERY happy with the new 75 Summarit 2.4), but 35 & 50 are essential.  Sell my 50 lux for the older beast-to-focus 75 lux, no way.  Put down that much capital for the new iteration of the 75 lux?  I'd take a lot of persuading!

Just my 2 cents :)

• Like 4

This highlights what we mean by PORTRAIT.  The more I see and the more work I do, the more I find that (unless you're doing passport "portraits") setting the subject in context usually gives a much more satisfying image than the "head and shoulders" aesthetic that seems to drive many of the images presented here.  

Consider:

https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-culture/fashion/henri-cartier-bresson-photoportraits/

http://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&VBID=2K1HZO4NLCQCQC&SMLS=1&RW=1329&RH=880

While there are shots that are head and shoulders (like the one of Cantona you'll find if you scroll lower down), I'd say the majority of images here are taken with the 35 / 50 focal length lenses.

Likewise, check the Taylor Wessing Portrait Competition images:

https://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/twppp-2017/exhibition/past-winners/

Moral?  If you're doing very conventional bread & butter studio portraits I'm not sure that Leica is always the best anyway.  Large or medium format with highly controlled lighting might be the way to go.  If you like contextualised portraiture (which I do), then a 75 is always good to have in the bag (I'm VERY happy with the new 75 Summarit 2.4), but 35 & 50 are essential.  Sell my 50 lux for the older beast-to-focus 75 lux, no way.  Put down that much capital for the new iteration of the 75 lux?  I'd take a lot of persuading!

Just my 2 cents :)

I very much agree.

In general, I don't really understand the use of a Leica for this head/shoulders approach at all, and I would think that that Leica users would - if prone to researching interesting work done with Leicas in history - for the point of understanding it as a tool - will probably, immediately realize that it excels in the environmental/contextualized portraiture, and not at all in this bokeh-ey studio type of stuff.

It's like using a crowbar to hammer in a nail. It works, but there's an obviously better tool for it. (Not a rangefinder) 

• Like 3

I don't have a problem with either head and shoulders portraits or wider contextualised portraits (as a former environmental consultant, I can't accept the term 'environmental portrait').

But IMO to be of any interest at all, the portrait has to say something about the person: their personality, feelings, work or life experience. A photo of a Purpleport model looking wistful in a cornfield, or perfectly passionately posed under studio lighting may well be a portrait, but I find it totally uninteresting and empty.

I think a head and shoulders portrait of a person can say something about them - Rembrandt managed it. Perhaps it just takes a bit more talent - certainly more than me! IMO a Leica rangefinder is as good a tool as any for this sort of portrait, but not for the perfectly lit studio portrait.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

I don't have a problem with either head and shoulders portraits or wider contextualised portraits (as a former environmental consultant, I can't accept the term 'environmental portrait').

But IMO to be of any interest at all, the portrait has to say something about the person: their personality, feelings, work or life experience. A photo of a Purpleport model looking wistful in a cornfield, or perfectly passionately posed under studio lighting may well be a portrait, but I find it totally uninteresting and empty.

I think a head and shoulders portrait of a person can say something about them - Rembrandt managed it. Perhaps it just takes a bit more talent - certainly more than me! IMO a Leica rangefinder is as good a tool as any for this sort of portrait, but not for the perfectly lit studio portrait.

What you are describing is just the difference between a portrait and a snapshot, Paul.

Look at truly great portraits by someone like Avedon or Irving Penn, and you will see that just a face is more than enough. Infact, anything else can become distracting.

• Like 2

In general, I don't really understand the use of a Leica for this head/shoulders approach at all, and I would think that that Leica users would - if prone to researching interesting work done with Leicas in history - for the point of understanding it as a tool - will probably, immediately realize that it excels in the environmental/contextualized portraiture, and not at all in this bokeh-ey studio type of stuff.

It's like using a crowbar to hammer in a nail. It works, but there's an obviously better tool for it. (Not a rangefinder) 

My Leica M's have paid for themselves ten times over, because they can do things (like head and shoulder (or tighter) portraits) - along with all the other things that make up "Leica M" photography. And of course they've saved me even more money, by removing the need to buy additional cameras for anything other than sports/wildlife.

It is counterproductive (and expensive) to hold a "narrow vision" of what a Leica M can do

Back when corporate annual reports still used creative photography extensively, I've seen entire reports done by Magnum photographers with their Leicas - including the executive head shots.

Edited by adan
  • Like 8

I have always preferred Zeiss lenses for portraiture 75mm +. for what its worth. 

Why?

The reason I ask is because I prefer Zeiss lenses for reportage because they are so sharp and so contrasty as opposed to my Nikon lenses which I prefer for portraits because they are a little softer and not as contrasty.

My Leica M's have paid for themselves ten times over, because they can do things (like head and shoulder (or tighter) portraits) - along with all the other things that make up "Leica M" photography. And of course they've saved me even more money, by removing the need to buy additional cameras for anything other than sports/wildlife.

It is counterproductive (and expensive) to hold a "narrow vision" of what a Leica M can do

attachicon.gifLeicaM-ports.jpg

Back when corporate annual reports still used creative photography extensively, I've seen entire reports done by Magnum photographers with their Leicas - including the executive head shots.

Andy - TOTALLY agree.  I was just a bit concerned that one poster was planning to sell their 50 lux in order to get a "proper" portrait lens... Like you, I've simplified my life by doing pretty well everything with RF, with the exception of rapidly moving distant subjects (as in some kinds of performance - I've never needed to do sports) where I need a DSLR + 200 mm / 300 mm reach.

• Like 1

here is a whimsical example...

Albert  :D  :D  :lol:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have only one lens, 90mm f/2 Leitz, that I use on my M10 and M6 for individual portraits. This lens on my rangefinders works very well for candid and street portraits.

However, for studio portraits and other more formal portaits, I prefer to use my SLRs for the following reasons:

1. I have a larger selection of portrait lenses for my SLRs.

2. Some of my SLR portrait lenses are auto focus.

3. I have a battery pack for my dSLR that allows me to shoot longer without having to change batteries.

4. I have a grip that allows me to handhold my dSLR in a more comfortable portrait position.

Update

I use my Leica M6 and M10 with a 90mm f/2 lens for candid/street portraits of individuals.

For individual studio portraits, I prefer a film or digital SLR because:

1. I have a larger selection of portrait lenses for my SLRs than my rangefinders.

2. Some of my SLR portrait lenses are auto focus.

3. I have battery packs for my dSLRs that allow me to shoot longer without having to change batteries.

4. I have grips that have a shutter release located in a position that allow me to handhold my SLRs in a more comfortable portrait orientation.

5. Some of my SLR portrait lenses are macro.

6. My M10 does not have the PC synch cord connection that I sometimes need.

7. I find my 90mm f/2 lens lacking in close focusing. For example, last night I was using it in a restaurant but was too close to the subject sitting across the table from me to obtain sharp focus.