21 SEM quality control issues?

onasj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also have the 35mm Summilux FLE. Had that since new in 2011. Also a very sharp lens. But out of the box, it rattled like a set of castanets, and the aperture ring spun back and forth, with almost no detents. It’s still the same, but now there’s also about two centimetres of play in the focus ring. I’ve looked after the lens, it’s never been bumped or dropped. I’m pretty disappointed in the build of the thing, especially considering the exorbitant price.

In the US, DAG would fix the loose aperture ring. This seems common among recent lenses, even the pricey 50 APO. I think I've read that the rattling occurs on all 35 FLEs.... not sure. Don't know your equivalent third party service.

Jeff

• Like 1

In the US, DAG would fix the loose aperture ring. This seems common among recent lenses, even the pricey 50 APO. I think I've read that the rattling occurs on all 35 FLEs.... not sure. Don't know your equivalent third party service.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I've heard that too, and the rattling is a known characteristic of the 35 FLE. It didn't really bother me, and I was very happy with the pictures I got using the lens. It's optically a great lens. It's just that with the focus play now, it's not as easy to focus, and will need to be serviced. I can't help but compare it to the 50mm Summilux ASPH, which cost less, and seems exquisitely built by comparison.

But anyway - first world problems..

I've just been through all my lenses; I'm disappointed, I can't find one that is unacceptably loose. The Summilux 35 FLE is just about the loosest, but not rattly, closely followed by the Summaron 35/2.8. The Elmarit 28 Asph is the stiffest, but still moves freely. Apo-Summicron 75, SEM 21 and Apo-Summicron 50 somewhere in between, all within a narrow range. If I'd been asked before reading this thread I'd have said that a freely turning aperture ring with no hindrance except except detents was a characteristic of Leica lenses (even though one might prefer them stiffer). Perhaps making them like this leaves them open to the easy risk of ending up with a rattly ring.

Edit: I was forgetting - I had a Summicron 35 v4 that did rattle. I lived with it but traded it in years ago for the FLE.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought my SEM 21 new about one year ago. Yesterday, the retailer send it to repairment service. The front half of the lense body, not the aperture ring only, shows loose movement obviously. The movement cannot be ignored. It is a goid lense. However, the loose aperture ring, and now the loose front half body make me sad. I hope my case is only a special one. I am expectating its coming back with a very solid built.