SL video tutorial suggestions

MRJohn

• 1 month later...

I'm making progress: I recorded a scene from a musical dress rehearsal. I can see my way forward with video with the SL, but have some lessons/issues/questions:

- For steady shots and following slow action, neither hand holding, nor a tripod+ballhead will cut it, even with stabilisation in Davinci Resolve. I have bought a Manfrotto fluid head (502AH) for next time. Most of those reading this will be saying "I told you so".

- Normally one is advised to switch off image stabilisation for stills on tripods. Does that apply to video as well? Should I switch off OIS in the 24-90SL zoom, and rely on stabilisation in Resolve?

- In theatrical productions lighting can change dramatically. Is there a way of adjusting exposure step-free, without paying for cine lenses? Even 1/3 stop changes show up as distractions on screen.

- Davinci Resolve is a steep learning curve. I'm making progress, but does anyone have recommendations for the best learning tools: paper handbooks for preference, or video tutorials?

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

- Davinci Resolve is a steep learning curve. I'm making progress, but does anyone have recommendations for the best learning tools: paper handbooks for preference, or video tutorials?

Paul,

I also found the learning curve steep...

The instructive tutorials created by Blackmagic Design were good enough for me to do some simple color grading and editing. I have not taken it farther, though. I only used the Davinici Resolve version 15 as version 16 just came out and I did not see that much in the form of tutorials that matched the software.  Here is their channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCufB8sMVyP9JEScMjLz74YA

Tommy.

• Thanks 1

This series is also good:

https://youtu.be/N2vm_cB0SlE

You could try doing your exposure ramps in Resolve, provided you have enough dynamic range available.

If you are shooting multi-cam, you can also try hiding exposure changes through editing. I usually have a wide shot on a video camera set to auto-exposure. You can cut to that, and cut back to your main camera after exposure adjustment. It's not ideal, but it's better than not having editing options. It also fixes the typical issue where someone gets up and blocks your main shot. It also allows you to shoot tighter without missing anything. I've had up-to five cameras running (with authorization, of course), that's about the limit for a single-operator shoot. You can sync them in Resolve using the built-in audio tracks.

I wouldn't use any additional stabilization with the fluid head.

• Like 1

Thanks, Bernard, helpful comments. I've thought about variable density filters, but they start at -2 stops, and some theatre lighting setups don't give you much leeway to lose 2 stops.
I will probably go down the route of a wideshot camera on a tripod (perhaps the Sigma fp if it looks right - the L-mount adds flexible choices of lenses).

Out of interest, what options do you choose for clock timing your different cameras and sound: do you set them to a common timeline or do you just do it by trial and error (or a handclap in shot)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Out of interest, what options do you choose for clock timing your different cameras and sound:

There's a way to sync them in Resolve (and most other NLEs) using the soundtrack. You have to pick the master soundtrack and then tell the software to sync the video tracks to it. The software scans the on-board sound from the video tracks and finds a sound match. It can help to trim the video files so that they start around the same time.

Do a web search for 'multicam' and the name of your preferred editing package to find full instructions.  It's a huge time saver.

• Like 1