A few UK butterflies

wattsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All Portra 400 and 90 Macro Elmar-M.

Female Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus) at St Lawrence, Isle of Wight

36242402833_6d9f19c792_c.jpg

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) on Mayweed in a local field
36662587865_f7aa9aa8e1_b.jpg

A male Chalkhill Blue (Polyommatus coridon) on Small Scabious. Devil's Dyke at Reach.
36229644880_8e6fb521c5_b.jpg

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) at St Lawrence Bank, Isle of Wight
36535859026_6ed9f65185_b.jpg
Edited by wattsy
  • Like 16

Another Chalkhill Blue on the Devil's Dyke near Newmarket in July. These butterflies can sometimes emerge in very large numbers. There was a reasonable number (a few dozen) where I took this one and a week or so later I saw many hundreds (most probably a thousand plus) on Compton and Brook Downs on the Isle of Wight. There was an emergence at the interestingly named Butchershole Bottom in Sussex a few years ago where the recorders estimated a total of over 800,000!

90 Macro Elmar-M and Portra 400.

36626237945_2ece7c2931_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Another Chalkhill Blue on the Devil's Dyke near Newmarket in July. These butterflies can sometimes emerge in very large numbers. There was a reasonable number (a few dozen) where I took this one and a week or so later I saw many hundreds (most probably a thousand plus) on Compton and Brook Downs on the Isle of Wight. There was an emergence at the interestingly named Butchershole Bottom in Sussex a few years ago where the recorders estimated a total of over 800,000!

90 Macro Elmar-M and Portra 400.

36626237945_2ece7c2931_b.jpg

No fluttering about it, delicate little portraits you capture so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread I started last year to add some more photos.

One of those welcome affirmations of spring in the UK, a male Orange Tip (Anthocharis cardamines), on one of its main larval food plants, Garlic Mustard. These dainty butterflies have a fairly short flight season and are gone before spring turns into summer. M 240 and 90 Macro Elmar-M and goggled adaptor.

40295814830_897f80924f_b.jpg

• Like 9

A battle worn Common blue (Polyommatus icarus) at Hutchinson's Bank (a remarkable slice of preserved chalk grassland in Croydon, within the boundaries of London). M 240 and usual goggled 90 Macro-Elmar.

27619925597_8e8cf519ed_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 6

And the Small blue (Cupido minimus), the UK's smallest butterfly, also at Hutchinson's Bank (a minor coup for London Wildlife Trust because this is a rare-ish species nowadays and absent from many regions of the UK). This butterfly is small enough to really tax the 1:3 maximum reproduction ratio of the goggled Macro-Elmar as I tend not to crop my photographs.

41769883624_1c048c7d40_b.jpg

• Like 8

The Glanville Fritillary (Melitaea cinxia) is right at the edge of its European range in the UK and only appears naturally in a handful of sites on the Isle of Wight where it is quite abundant in late spring. There is also apparently a small unofficially introduced colony at Hutchinson's Bank near Croydon but I didn't see any when I visited that reserve last week. This one was at Wheeler's Bay in Ventnor.

41833033404_cb0f1d73bd_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 6

The Marsh Fritillary (Euphydryas aurinia). An uncommon species largely confined to the western side of the UK. A bit prone to parasitization and the vagaries of the weather, the adult emergence can be a bit boom or bust. Some years a colony can number many hundreds (or even thousands), other years might be in single figures. M 240 and 90 Macro-Elmar with goggles.

42524656952_c09c78a6a2_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 6

Mating Heath Fritillary (Melitaea athalia) in an Essex wood. This is one of the UK's rarest butterflies (in terms of the number of colonies) but can be superabundant at the colony level.

27827489067_9e71eb50ba_b.jpg

A view showing the upper side of the wings. Both M 240, 90 Macro Elmar-M and goggles.

41978217474_7727fdd01a_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 5

I forgot this one from a week or so ago. This is the Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary (Boloria selene) which is another butterfly which has seen its range shrink in recent decades. Now largely confined to the western side of the UK, this one was in Bentley Wood on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border.

41988874544_59546ae800_b.jpg

• Like 3