Having a nightmare printing in either PS or Lightroom

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

If I didn't own IP10, I would have decided to buy custom profiling gear, and that alone was double the IP cost, not counting the time and labor involved to make paper profiles for various lighting conditions. The rest, which is substantial, was gravy.

Jeff

In the Uk the i1 pro is double the cost of IP 10 and a good level of skill is required to even get close to the IP 10 profiles. The big winner as far as I am concerned with IP is the ease and benifits of working in soft proof mode. The OP wasted a role of expensive paper which was the subject of the original post,In 18 months I have hardly scraped any paper. For me the object of the hobby is to put prints on the wall. IP 10 represents about 1% of my outlay on Leica gear but to me is the icing on the cake.Many others will not consider the benefits worthwhile so pos not see any benefits in that case don't buy it. My next purchase could well be the mat cutter that Jeff S uses,it's am impressive piece of kit. An alternative could be pre cut mounts from Hobbycraft at a fraction of the price if price is the issue.We all have choices which suit are own needs and requirements.

A Framer's Edge countertop mat cutter served me well for many years.. I still have it. The Speed-Mat is definitely a splurge (unless found used), but is really a treat to use. Perfect cuts, even double window mats, with no markings involved. The company sometimes has demo models and/or price reductions.

Jeff

I use something similar to your Framers edge but I enquired about the speed-mat after your post about it some time ago. I had a contact who made perfect double and triple window mats with very simple gear but 50 years of practice. The Speed- Mat is top of my wish list.Can I justify the cost ,never but neither can I really justify my Noctilux.

Hope you are keeping well Jeff and thanks for some very interesting posts.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

In the Uk the i1 pro is double the cost of IP 10 and a good level of skill is required to even get close to the IP 10 profiles. The big winner as far as I am concerned with IP is the ease and benifits of working in soft proof mode. The OP wasted a role of expensive paper which was the subject of the original post,In 18 months I have hardly scraped any paper. For me the object of the hobby is to put prints on the wall. IP 10 represents about 1% of my outlay on Leica gear but to me is the icing on the cake.Many others will not consider the benefits worthwhile so pos not see any benefits in that case don't buy it. My next purchase could well be the mat cutter that Jeff S uses,it's am impressive piece of kit. An alternative could be pre cut mounts from Hobbycraft at a fraction of the price if price is the issue.We all have choices which suit are own needs and requirements.

yes I did waist a roll of paper....... but it wasn’t in vain...... I now have Image Nest and will no longer waist paper. Image Nest costs $199 compared to $2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously Neil just listen to Jeff S. I thought IP10 was expensive which it obviously is but for ease of use and quality of print it is worth the money. Compare the cost to how much you have spent on the rest of your gear.If that does not do it work out the cost of a scraped A2 print in paper/ink/and time plus frustration.In real terms I find IP great value for money.

It’s about the same price of a Heiland Split Grade unit for analogue b&w printing. What do you think: would it give about the same feeling of depth of a Multigrade Warm Color Fiber-based wet print, for instance on Canson Platina?

I find the free Epson Print Layout application works great with Epson Printers, although I have not tried it with roll paper. You might give it a try.

https://epson.com/epson-print-layout

After a comparison of several printing apps except IP (so far) this free app turned out the best for me, doesn’t interfere with your own color management and does the lay-out very user-friendly. Thanks!, don’t need PS CC anymore, for that at least.

I cannot indeed imagine that you should pay 1400$ for an app that has to do just two things: lay-out and not mess up my own dear color-editing work.

Edited by otto.f

IP costs $895 for my P800 and, in addition to print layout functionality, it provides superb profiles for virtually every paper and lighting condition, offers superior (to LR) softproofing at every stage, and bypasses the Epson driver, thereby automatically ensuring all proper settings for the ideal print and avoiding any Apple/Adobe/Epson compatibility screw-ups.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

IP costs $895 for my P800 and, in addition to print layout functionality, it provides superb profiles for virtually every paper and lighting condition, offers superior (to LR) softproofing at every stage, and bypasses the Epson driver, thereby automatically ensuring all proper settings for the ideal print and avoiding any Apple/Adobe/Epson compatibility screw-ups.

Jeff

$2595 for my printer............I will stick with Image Nest for $199 thanks

Neil

We know already.... my post was in response to Otto's questioning the bang for the buck. Apples and oranges to ImageNest. Whatever suits.

Jeff

I tried the demo-version today and I must say it’s a very primitive, MS-DOS- like architecture which is IMO appalling to ask so much money for in 2017. For that money, and still having to go through 30’ video tutorials, which means that it’s not intuitive, sorry. I’m not an IT-man, I’m an amateur photographer. In that time I can even master the printing procedures of CaptureOne and can print directly from DNG which gives in my workflow still the most predictable results. EPSON Print Layout is fast, second best in results and not bad at all. I print a few times a year.

Jeff

In the UK there is an extra shipping charge for signed and tracked courier service. Total cost was almost $1000 for Epson P800.The software other than for a trial can not be just downloaded and installed as a USB dongle is required which is unique to your own copy/ activation code. I found the company very easy to deal with and am a very satisfied customer. Compared to the price of Leica gear, A2 paper at around £150 for 25 sheets and a set of ink cartridges at around £400 I can live with the cost. Others will not agree and we all make our own choices.

I tried the demo-version today and I must say it’s a very primitive, MS-DOS- like architecture which is IMO appalling to ask so much money for in 2017. For that money, and still having to go through 30’ video tutorials, which means that it’s not intuitive, sorry. I’m not an IT-man, I’m an amateur photographer. In that time I can even master the printing procedures of CaptureOne and can print directly from DNG which gives in my workflow still the most predictable results. EPSON Print Layout is fast, second best in results and not bad at all. I print a few times a year.

Different strokes for different folks. I found the interface simple and effective from day one, with fantastic results, and allowing me to save near $2k in custom profiling gear. I'm far from a computer geek; in fact IP better ensures that I don't need to be one.

Choices are good.

Jeff

• Like 1

I am not sure if you are using windows or mac and I don’t want to get into that debate. I am using an iMac and have found IP 10 very easy to use with excellent results, which is why I invested in it. I have never got consistent good results with the Epson driver.Having seen some very positive reports initially from the Luminous Landscape web site and very favourable comments from a regular contributor on this forum,I tried it and was convinced by how easy it was to use. Great paper profiles ,what you see on the screen is what comes out of the printer and I personally found the programne very intuitive. Sure I wish it was cheaper but I also wish the new 90mm Thambar-M was cheaper and not a chance that will come down in price either.

We have a saying in the UK that there is more than one way to skin a cat. This equally applies to making a decent fine art print.We just have to choose the system which suits the individual.Personally our American friends nail it for me with the KISS principle. Keep It Simple S , IP 10 has nailed it for me.

Edited by Guest

I can understand the advantage of IP if you use a wide variety of papers whose manufacturers don’t provide profiles for your printer.

I can understand TAOI if you frequently fall foul of Lightroom print module putting both margins on one side or printing the wrong size (possibly human error, i’m not claiming to be perfect).

I’m not sure whether you are claiming that the print looks better (than one where you use a paper manufacturer’s profile and operate LR print module correctly). Is this the claim? Can you pick out the IP print from the LR print? Is it possible to photograph the difference?

I can understand the advantage of IP if you use a wide variety of papers whose manufacturers don’t provide profiles for your printer.

I can understand TAOI if you frequently fall foul of Lightroom print module putting both margins on one side or printing the wrong size (possibly human error, i’m not claiming to be perfect).

I’m not sure whether you are claiming that the print looks better (than one where you use a paper manufacturer’s profile and operate LR print module correctly). Is this the claim? Can you pick out the IP print from the LR print? Is it possible to photograph the difference?

Many people get amazing results without using IP but that is not the point. Personally I find IP easy to use,gives me consistency in printing with a very low hassle factor. Plenty of other people far more talented than myself will agree with me. On the other hand plenty of people will get great results without IP with whatever work flow they use. It’s all about what suits the individual and how he or she wants to spend their money.