Question re Elmarit-R ROM 28/2.8

chrism

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a beginner on the R system, and I may have bought a faulty lens. It has ROM contacts, and just one cam, but the cam is a smooth slope, not the stepped cam. The seller indicated it had been used with a Canon EF adapter. The lens mounts fine, but in A mode the aperture display in my viewfinder does not change as I rotate the aperture ring - it stays at 2.8 no matter what the lens is set to. With the other lens I have so far, the display changes to match the set value on the lens. The aperture does close down on firing the shutter, but that's little consolation as this means metering won't work unless I do manual metering with the stop down lever depressed. This image shows the single smooth non-stepped cam. Has the lens been altered to fit the Canon adapter?

Elmarit_R_28.png

I don't want to send it all the way back to New Zealand, but it's no good to me as it is. Anyone got any ideas?

Chris

Chris, could you give any further details of this lens, for example, the serial number, the filter size and type (whether E-- or Series) and, if it's on the lens anywhere, the five digit order code? I'm guessing here, but is it possible that this might be an earlier 1-cam lens, or a 2-cam lens that has had the second cam removed as part of a factory ROM conversion? Otherwise, I can't imagine why the R-cam is missing. Which R camera are you using it on?

Chris, I got a bit confused in my earlier post. With your lens, the second cam is present, the first cam is missing because the ROM chip occupies that place, and the 3rd R-cam is also absent. Here's what I think, though I may be wrong. The serial number (according to the Wiki) indicates a Type II Elmarit from 1995. A lens of that vintage must have had an R-cam. If the ROM chip had been there since the lens was made, it would have had only an R-cam in addition to the chip. The fact that the second cam is present suggests that it was therefore originally a three cam lens, with a subsequent ROM conversion (which would have removed the first cam to make room for the chip). So at some time, the R-cam must have been removed. This may have been done to give clearance for whatever adapter was used, and not restored properly to its correct condition. 

Whatever, you've got a missing R-cam, so the lens wont work properly, even on an R8 or R9.

I stand to be corrected by those with superior knowledge, but this is my best shot!

• Like 2

I heard back from the seller, who says he forgot to reinstall the stepped cam, which he has. He was willing to reinstall it and return the lens, but rather than take all that time I'll source another Elmarit-R 28mm a bit closer to home.

Chris

• Like 1

I'd watch out with alterations to the mount on this lens. I had one that had previously been 'Leitaxed' and once restored showed bad decentring.

It had to go back to Leica for adjustments to the floating rear elements. Fine after that but not a cheap fix.

• 7 months later...

I'd watch out with alterations to the mount on this lens. I had one that had previously been 'Leitaxed' and once restored showed bad decentring.

It had to go back to Leica for adjustments to the floating rear elements. Fine after that but not a cheap fix.

I Leitax'd and then undid it on 5 R lenses and can't see how a lens got de-centered. The optical cell isn't touched by the process.