35mm f1.7 Voigtlander Ultron M mount- A Winner

Gregm61

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow, what a nice lens. Shot around with it today and it's quite the nice lens on an M262 for sure. The 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH is going to be semi-retired for a while I think.

Sharp, sharp, sharp, and if you open it up a little bit and move in it does an excellent job of separating your main subject from the background, the area in focus is tack sharp and it seems to be a pretty flat field lens. You can focus, recompose and the subject you focused on stays in sharp focus. Oh, and the accessory vented hood gives it a very classic, smart look.

Did not "code" the lens with any preset. Just left the camera on auto and this is the only non-6 bit coded lens I'm using, making files captured with that lens pretty easy to spot in processing.

L1021659-X2.jpg

L1021718-X2.jpg

L1021708-X2.jpg

L1021709-X2.jpg

L1021691-X2.jpg

L1021633-X2.jpg

Zone focusing looks good too.

L1021604-X2.jpg

L1021642-X2.jpg

L1021728-X2.jpg

L1021695-X2.jpg

• Like 6

I have LTM version of this lens for few months. It was very good optically. Superior to Color Skopars 35, which I went through all three versions. The only reason I sold this lens, it was useles for zone focusing. This is how I focus 35mm lens often. By positioning of focus tab. With Ultron I was missing shots due to this. I sold it after first reportage. It was too slow for my work.

But for examples provided here, no Crons needed for sure :)

Scale focusing by looking at the lens ring is different from zone focusing by position of the focus tab. Because of the focus tab, lens could be focused quickly and with confidence. For street work is it extremely handy. Where is three tab positions only needed. Close, middle and far. Knowing these positions allows to focus without looking at the lens and no RF patch is needed. With practice you are not even think about it anymore. Close is left, middle is middle, far is right.

You walk and something quick happens, like lady here holding hands for few seconds.

27990413355_1d03f00c5b_o.jpg

I was not looking at the focus scale, I was walking and looking for the Moment. Walking and looking at the focus scale it not safe as well.

Here I have guy asking for money. We both know what he is doing and by the time I have camera by my face, while zone focusing with tab, he has his face covered. If I'll do it with focus scale or with RF patch, I wouldn't get even this picture.

27308225672_8767fb18cb_o.jpg

Modern Crons, Summarits 35 are build for photos like these. Not only focus tab, but focus helicoud is smooth and even for fast focusing.

• Like 1

Can't argue the usefulness of the tab and being able to place focus by feel. I enjoy looking at photos like these, but they are the last kind of pictures I would take myself. Grabbing street scenes just isn't my thing. If the opportunity presents itself while out and about like this, I have as much fun as anyone adding an image or two with people interacting around me (there are a couple of those above), but I don't go looking for it.

Edited by Gregm61

The new Ultron M-Version is really a winner!

Sharp, greatl Bokeh and a very nice 3D-pop

M10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This one with my A7II

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!