Leica Q - the image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Yoki said:

Love this image Yoki. I wouldn’t change a thing. 👏👏👏

• Like 2

Q-P iso 125 f4 1/1000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Chuck -

The size limitations, which we revisit periodically, and increase what's permitted, are due to the international nature of the forum -- a signifiant number of members do not have access to wide-band Internet, or if they do, it can be quite expensive.  Prently, the file size limitation is 500 KB, but as a sponsoring member it's 1 GB.  At present, we limit the pixel out tp no greater than 1240 on the longer side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stuny said:

Chuck -

The size limitations, which we revisit periodically, and increase what's permitted, are due to the international nature of the forum -- a signifiant number of members do not have access to wide-band Internet, or if they do, it can be quite expensive.  Prently, the file size limitation is 500 KB, but as a sponsoring member it's 1 GB.  At present, we limit the pixel out tp no greater than 1240 on the longer side.

Stuny,

Thank you for you reply.

I am never able to post 1240 on the long side and I think that allowance is small. Leica is an elite club whose members have chosen to spend a considerable sum on gear. Limiting the opportunity to view and share due to extra internet expense doesn't make sense considering the price of admission. Their membership in this forum is evidence they want to see and share the product of that investment in it's best possible presentation. I propose 1600 on the long side and that it is actually attainable.

This proposal is not a revelation.... It exists on other forums featuring far less prestigious camera brands.

C

Edited by Chuck Walker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

I don’t understand the limitation you’re citing. It’s so easy in Lightroom and I assume many post programs to specify the exact dimensions and image file size. I have a LUF preset that does it automatically. What am I missing? Thanks. 

Not all or even many programs allow the export to the exact dimensions required by the forum.

My processor of choice RawPower does not provide an easy way to export to comply to the boards requirements.  

i have stopped posting images because it is just to d@mn hard to export to the board's requirement.

4 minutes ago, prk60091 said:

Not all or even many programs allow the export to the exact dimensions required by the forum.

My processor of choice RawPower does not provide an easy way to export to comply to the boards requirements.  

i have stopped posting images because it is just to d@mn hard to export to the board's requirement.

Thanks. Sounds pretty frustrating. I’m not familiar with RawPower. What advantages does it offer?  Many on this forum, but certainly not all, use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I have for right at 15 years I expect. It’s pretty much a piece of cake to resize to any size even upsizing although I hear there are better programs for that. Good luck. Bummer RawPower is not more friendly in that area. 

16 hours ago, Chuck Walker said:

Stuny,

Thank you for you reply.

I am never able to post 1240 on the long side and I think that allowance is small. Leica is an elite club whose members have chosen to spend a considerable sum on gear. Limiting the opportunity to view and share due to extra internet expense doesn't make sense considering the price of admission. Their membership in this forum is evidence they want to see and share the product of that investment in it's best possible presentation. I propose 1600 on the long side and that it is actually attainable.

This proposal is not a revelation.... It exists on other forums featuring far less prestigious camera brands.

C

if you’re on Flickr, copy the url and paste into the comment box which then displays your image and provides a hot link to the full size pic.

• Like 5

After the previous evening’s excesses this calms the alimentary canal down a bit!

Yes, it’s fizzy water. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Thanks. Sounds pretty frustrating. I’m not familiar with RawPower. What advantages does it offer?  Many on this forum, but certainly not all, use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I have for right at 15 years I expect. It’s pretty much a piece of cake to resize to any size even upsizing although I hear there are better programs for that. Good luck. Bummer RawPower is not more friendly in that area. 

To my mind the advantage is that it is much like aperture- which is understandable as the developers are former aperture engineers that is NOT subscription based and allows me to edit on both my mpb and my ipad. I stopped using LR/Photoshop when my subscription ran out and now the only things i subscribe to are news sites/newspapers. 

I am philosophically opposed to renting software.  Charge for new features- i will pay-- i will not rent software.

As to the flickr workaround mentioned above- My yahoo/flickr account is locked and i no longer have access to the email that it was opened under... it was opened a million years ago by my isp (which at the time was sbcglobal-- an offshot of ATT -- many corporate mergers and data breaches later i no longer can sign in to flickr...With flickr/yahoo's record i am not all that thrilled about having to open another account...

i realize that i am what they call 'an edge case' and i would not expect the forum to change the rules for just for me... i happened to see your post and decided to comment on why

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prk60091 said:

To my mind the advantage is that it is much like aperture- which is understandable as the developers are former aperture engineers that is NOT subscription based and allows me to edit on both my mpb and my ipad. I stopped using LR/Photoshop when my subscription ran out and now the only things i subscribe to are news sites/newspapers. 

I am philosophically opposed to renting software.  Charge for new features- i will pay-- i will not rent software.

As to the flickr workaround mentioned above- My yahoo/flickr account is locked and i no longer have access to the email that it was opened under... it was opened a million years ago by my isp (which at the time was sbcglobal-- an offshot of ATT -- many corporate mergers and data breaches later i no longer can sign in to flickr...With flickr/yahoo's record i am not all that thrilled about having to open another account...

i realize that i am what they call 'an edge case' and i would not expect the forum to change the rules for just for me... i happened to see your post and decided to comment on why

My take is you’ve found a workable solution for you albeit with some frustration about sizing. I often struggle with photos taken on my iPhone trying to size them to fit on the forum. Originals I took with a Q, but that are stored on my iPhone. I end up emailing them to myself and that let’s me select the file size so I can stay under the limit. 

When Adobe first came out with the subscription based LR I was opposed to it. Then with new cameras I purchased that were not supported I basically gave in to it. “Resistance is futile” to quote the Borg from Star Trek. I also decided that to have the latest features and new camera support was worth 2 Starbucks Lattes a month. I haven’t looked back. I enjoy the power of LR and PS. They work pretty seamlessly together. We each choose our path and I wish you well on your journey. 

6 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

My take is you’ve found a workable solution for you albeit with some frustration about sizing. I often struggle with photos taken on my iPhone trying to size them to fit on the forum. Originals I took with a Q, but that are stored on my iPhone. I end up emailing them to myself and that let’s me select the file size so I can stay under the limit. 

When Adobe first came out with the subscription based LR I was opposed to it. Then with new cameras I purchased that were not supported I basically gave in to it. “Resistance is futile” to quote the Borg from Star Trek. I also decided that to have the latest features and new camera support was worth 2 Starbucks Lattes a month. I haven’t looked back. I enjoy the power of LR and PS. They work pretty seamlessly together. We each choose our path and I wish you well on your journey. 

" My take is you’ve found a workable solution for you" --as have you.

Someone has to fight the Borg-- just think what would have happened if Picard gave up.

I do not rent any software be it photo related  or otherwise- eg:  rss servers & vpn are run out of  a server i run in my weekend lake home (nobody else using the bandwidth 70%of the time)

• Like 1

still getting used to 28mm for street shots but starting to enjoy it. 
  • Like 6

Black Rock, Cromford Derbyshire 

• Like 14

it’s nearly beer o’Clock!

• Like 5

Having to adjust to new focal length, colors, and processing, but I think I am going to enjoy finally being serious about digital. 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Mt83073 said:

Having to adjust to new focal length, colors, and processing, but I think I am going to enjoy finally being serious about digital. 

Nice one 🙂

• Like 1

Agave at sunset. Mastin Labs Ektar 100 w/edits.

f/1.7 @ MFD

• Like 4