Leica Vario-Elmarit R 21-35mm f/3.5 Lens VS two other brand zooms

thebarnman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I could not get any of the 21-35 sellers to knock a single cent/centime/milli-zloty off their asking prices, which took them outside my budget. I did find a 24/2.8 ROM lens, where the German seller (from whom I have bought in the past) reduced the price from €1100 to €1001, which I therefore bought. Unlike some other sellers, this one includes the pin mount hood and I am sure I must have an e60 skylight or UV filter somewhere. 

Wilson

Ah well, worth a try. At least it gives some idea of the degree of elasticity in the market (that is to say, little or none)!

According to Brian Bower (Leica Reflex Photography) this lens has a floating element, and has a very good performance, which evolved originally from a Minolta design. According to Puts, Minolta stopped production, so Leitz had to adapt the design to glass from different sources. I presume that, being a ROM lens, yours will be the latest type, therefore with the greatest amount of Leica tweaking  to the original optics.

18 minutes ago, masjah said:

Ah well, worth a try. At least it gives some idea of the degree of elasticity in the market (that is to say, little or none)!

According to Brian Bower (Leica Reflex Photography) this lens has a floating element, and has a very good performance, which evolved originally from a Minolta design. According to Puts, Minolta stopped production, so Leitz had to adapt the design to glass from different sources. I presume that, being a ROM lens, yours will be the latest type, therefore with the greatest amount of Leica tweaking  to the original optics.

John, 

It will be interesting to compare the Elmarit-R to my 25mm/2.8 ZM Biogon. I bought the Biogon about 13 years ago, when I was still occasionally photographing yacht interiors for money. It was more rectilinear and a more recent design than the 24/2.8 Elmarit-M and it is an excellent performer. It is very resistant to flare, which is important, when you are using multiple snoot lights to illuminate the interior evenly. Of course I can now do a direct comparison on the SL, as I have the M adapter L and R adapter L. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/24/2016 at 10:15 AM, JonPB said:

To update to my post from last month about scale focusing the 21-35 on an M9:

35mm appears to be as marked.

21mm appears to be one mark closer than indicated. To explain, the 21-35 has marks in meters at infinity, 7, 3, 2, 1.2, etc. If you want to focus on a subject 7 meters away, set the lens to 3 meters; if you want to focus on a subject 3 meters away, set the lens to 2 meters.

I found the same on my 21-35 on a A7. 

I caved in a few months ago and bought a lovely example of the 21-35. It works beautifully on my M10-R as well as on my various R cameras. I might as well sell my 21 Super Angulon-R 3 cam and 24 Elmarit-R ROM now, as I don't see them getting any use. 

Wilson

• Like 1