A week with the M240 and back to film

sblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interestingly, the workshop I took (was accepted into) was with David Alan Harvey. He liked the Leica monochrome and was happy to use what Leica lent him but in the end felt it was too expensive a kit for him. Really liked the Q, thought it was worth it but didn't get it. He is using Fuji x-pro2 or whatever, as Fuji is feeding him the cameras for free. Now here is the point. For years and years and years, he used Tri-X, and M-6 and a 35mm lens and that was what he walked out of the house with. Said to us that was all he ever needed (looking back, he obviously used a lot of Kodachrome, which he also mention in class that his old color was all chrome, felt it was a great discipline for getting it right in the camera). Today, those big color shots he has from Rio are shot on Velvia 50 using a Mamiya 7. He is interested in the new Hasselblad and the proposed Fuji MF but has yet to use them. He prefers MF because he prefers really big prints -- it is where the really big money is, for him at least. The Fuji today feels to him like the M6 did, quiet and un-intrusive. For the money shots, film on the Mamiya 7 -- talked about these night shots he took in Rio using his knees as a tripod. 

• Like 6

so happy for you that you're fling is over...

I was starting to wonder about you :)

Been busy. My office moved to midtown. More people here somewhat less interesting. Will be posting film shots soon enough. After listening to Harvey, maybe I finally become a MF shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes the M files are very malleable but why work that hard to get a look I can get immediately from film?

Exactly. People say, just set up a profile or an action blah blah blah, but they can never be applied to other files without further intervention. I really like to use my M240 and, so long as colour isn't important, I enjoy playing with the files but, jeeze, if you want my wife's coat to be red or her jacket to be purple it's get out the Xrite color passport, and even then you'll be lucky. I think I'll stick with B+W with the M240. If I'm going on holiday I'll take the MPs and a bunch of Portra 400 thank you very much.

The only thing I wish for from Leica is not more dynamic range or pixels, just a decent profile I can put into Lightroom to give nice colour as often achieved on the LCD display on the back of the camera.

Pete

• Like 1

Exactly. People say, just set up a profile or an action blah blah blah, but they can never be applied to other files without further intervention. I really like to use my M240 and, so long as colour isn't important, I enjoy playing with the files but, jeeze, if you want my wife's coat to be red or her jacket to be purple it's get out the Xrite color passport, and even then you'll be lucky. I think I'll stick with B+W with the M240. If I'm going on holiday I'll take the MPs and a bunch of Portra 400 thank you very much.

The only thing I wish for from Leica is not more dynamic range or pixels, just a decent profile I can put into Lightroom to give nice colour as often achieved on the LCD display on the back of the camera.

Pete

Remember that the Leica for professionals is the S and SL and the TL is the prosumer version as long as you want interchangeable lenses. The Q is it if you don't mind sticking with a 28. This isn't my view it is the view of Leica management, see the interview on Leicarumors. As I wrote above, I found the Q files much better than the M240. Leica has moved on from the M as the camera for pros. It's okay, it's business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk