Modern or classic lens on MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I got an MP a few days ago and have started shooting a bit, but my first roll of 36 is not yet finished :-)

I have the choice between 2 lenses that I own to put on the MP.

As I want to reduce my gear to the minimum, I intend to sell one lens.

So I have to make the choice which one to keep:

1. A modern looking Summarit 35 mm f2.4 in silver (MP is also in silver chrome)

or

2. A classical Summicron 50 rigid in perfect condition and it was manufactured in the year of my birth :-)

So as I cannot yet make a decision bases on the results from the photos taken on the MP, I would like to get already some advise which one to keep.

Thanks

John

p.s. my main digital M (MM2) has a 50 APO Summicron attached

35/50mm is so very different, that would be my deciding factor.

You already have a superb 50mm lens, so I would plump for a 35 to compliment it, but the 50 Rigid is also a nice compliment (to the 50APO) and something very different if you intend to put a lot of b&w film through your MP.

f/2.0 vs f/2.4 isn't so much of a factor perhaps, what's 1/2 a stop between friends.

I wouldn't let what colour any piece of equipment is influence a decision, the world is just a series of tones between black and white anyway :)

Enjoy your new MP, whichever you choose!

If it is about needing the money after buying the MP I would have bought a cheaper camera, an M6 for example, and kept both lenses. If it isn't about needing the money also keep both lenses as both focal lengths have their place in any photographers outfit. If it is about wanting a simpler outfit to carry around then leave one at home. If it is about not knowing which lens to use under which circumstances look at other photographers work and decide if you like the field of view and compositional characteristics of either lens.

Steve

• Like 2

Hi,

I got an MP a few days ago and have started shooting a bit, but my first roll of 36 is not yet finished :-)

As I want to reduce my gear to the minimum, I intend to sell one lens.

So I have to make the choice which one to keep:

or

2. A classical Summicron 50 rigid in perfect condition and it was manufactured in the year of my birth :-)

So as I cannot yet make a decision bases on the results from the photos taken on the MP, I would like to get already some advise which one to keep.

Thanks

John

So buy the 35 Summarit and You´re done!

• Like 1

I think you may regret selling either of them in the long term.  I suspect money is not the major factor for you,  they are both nice lenses and the MP is a very nice camera!  It can also be refreshing to return to a little-used lens in the future.

I understand the desire to simplify the gear that you own, but I would suggest trying to avoid making any quick decisions.

Unless, you need to free up the funds immediately I think you should spend longer using each of the lenses.

It sounds like you have an attachment to the rigid Summicron, but the 35 gives you an alternative field of view to the Apo Summicron that you use on the Monochrom.

(But, if you are sure that you are comfortable only shooting a 50, then keep the Rigid Summicron - easier to find another 35 2.4 than a rigid cron in perfect condition)

or

I don't understand your problem. It sounds like you actually have more than two lenses so I'm not sure how selling one of the two lenses listed will reduce your equipment to the minimum. Why can't you use the APO 50 on your MP?

• Like 1

Thanks for the useful hints.

I will keep both lenses for the time being and make some comparisons, and decide at a later stage.

Using both cameras with the APO only is a bad idea, I don't like dust particles on the MM sensor!

So, 2 cameras, one digital, one Analog, one APO for the digital and one lens for the MP.

Thats all, no more "Schnickschnack" :-)

In Wetzlar they call it "dasWesentliche"!

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

John you would never sell a classical Summicron 50 rigid in perfect condition manufactured in the year of your birth, would you?

You will regret it the moment it leaves your hands.

The Summarit however can be replaced easily. So that's the answer when you ask me!

Maarten

• Like 1

Steve's right on the money here. Anything else does not make any sense at all.

If it is about needing the money after buying the MP I would have bought a cheaper camera, an M6 for example, and kept both lenses. If it isn't about needing the money also keep both lenses as both focal lengths have their place in any photographers outfit. If it is about wanting a simpler outfit to carry around then leave one at home. If it is about not knowing which lens to use under which circumstances look at other photographers work and decide if you like the field of view and compositional characteristics of either lens.

Steve

Sorry, I don't understand this logic. Dust can be annoying but it is hardly - all imho of course - such a curse that it warrants never changing a lens. it would have been different had you said that you are a 50mm photographer only, in which case I would have understood keeping that focal length on both cameras. I guess I'm missing something. It's not the first time I've failed to understand something.

Using both cameras with the APO only is a bad idea, I don't like dust particles on the MM sensor!

So, 2 cameras, one digital, one Analog, one APO for the digital and one lens for the MP.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I will leave the 50cron on the MP for the time being, and then later this summer I will make a swap to the 35Summarit.

I will then have sufficient food to make comparisons.

But one thing is sure. The 50cron I will keep, for nostalgic reasons, just need to find out if I will keep the 35summarit as well or not.

Cheers

John

John you would never sell a classical Summicron 50 rigid in perfect condition manufactured in the year of your birth, would you?

You will regret it the moment it leaves your hands.

The Summarit however can be replaced easily. So that's the answer when you ask me!

Maarten

Correct Maarten,

I realize this now as well.

Thanks for opening my eyes

John