New summicron asph 35mm. How and why did they improve the current one?

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really was amazed by the announcement of the new summicron asph 35mm. Can they really make the 35 better?

And at what price?

http://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-M/M-Objektive/Summicron-M-1-2-35-mm-ASPH2

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

I would love to find the technical data sheet including the MTF charts on their website...

I'm interested in how it compares to the Summilux 35mm ASPH.

If I remember correctly from one of the site that posted the announcement, price seems to be about 2k€.

The MTF charts are on the Leica website.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads

The optical formula hasn't changed.

Edited by A Aparicio

Of course MTF charts don't tell the story about chromatic aberrations, distortion, vignetting, flare,  bokeh, etc.  

Leica literature already mentions distortion and bokeh (different blades)....and it would be surprising if Leica didn't apply the more current black paint technique to lens interior (e.g.,  Summarits, 50 APO, etc) to further reduce flare potential.

Jeff

I would love to find the technical data sheet including the MTF charts on their website...

I'm interested in how it compares to the Summilux 35mm ASPH.

If I remember correctly from one of the site that posted the announcement, price seems to be about 2k€.

In direct competition with the used 35 asph?

[...] If I remember correctly from one of the site that posted the announcement, price seems to be about 2k€.

In France:

- Summicron 35/2 asph # 11673 (black): EUR 2,750 VAT (20%) included

- Summicron 35/2 asph # 11674 (silver): EUR 2,950 VAT (20%) included

In France:

- Summicron 35/2 asph # 11673 (black): EUR 2,750 VAT (20%) included

- Summicron 35/2 asph # 11674 (silver): EUR 2,950 VAT (20%) included

Correct,  I was wrong with the prices. May be it was wish over correct memory...

Anyway, compared to my Summilux ASPH. which I find sometimes too heavy and too big, I don't see enough improvement in any regard to switch.

Would have been nice, though.

Does anyone know if the "old" 35 mm ASPH could easily be modified so the hood from the new could be fitted?

For example to just change the accessory carrier on the lens?

Maybe it is just an adjusted 35 apsh, the new one?

They usually release more info about a lens design than they have this time. Maybe they just tweaked it to negate focus shift, add better coating and small changes to improve corners @ infinity. These were the weaknesses that I perceived with the old ASPH.

Perhaps changes along the lines of the 35 FLE vs pre FLE. We will know soon enough.

Edited by james.liam

My 24 3.4 has a screw in shade.   Mint used $1200.     My 28 2.8 ASPH  has a small clip on shade.   New and the shade does not come off.    My 35 2.0 has same clip on as 35.   Had Tamarin  to make sure it does not fall off before shipping.  It does not.  However my sons falls off if you look at it funny.    

I value the small shades because that is what Leica is about.

The screw-in hoods of my latest wides (35/1.4 FLE, 24/3.8 asph, 21/3.4 asph) are so small that they are almost useless IMHO. I much prefer the clip-on square hoods of current 28/2.8 asph and 35/2 asph lenses personally. Mine do not tend to fall off at all BTW. Same for the hood of my 35/2 v4 which never fell off since the eighties.

• Like 3

The rectangular hoods can clearly be more effective, which is why they were used on the uncoated Summar, Xenon, Summitar, etc. where flare was a serious issue, so stray light had to be well controlled. However, they are most effective when matched to the FOV of the lens. The 2.5 35 and 50 Summarits share a hood design, which obviously was sized for the 35. Perhaps that is partly why the 35 is more flare resistant than the 50.