Tethering

nunnzzzz

Adobe have announced LR CC 2015.4 and 6.4. The release notes say that they fixed the tether problem for Nikon cameras. Perhaps someone with the S (Typ 006) may like to test if the tethering now works for them with this update.
My photo shoot use the (Typ 007) with the current plug in from Owners Area  is in a few days and I shall comment here after that.

I set up to re-test tethering before using it for a large project soon. It works fine for me.

As mentioned this is only for the S (Typ 007) on Mac.

Have you installed correctly and tested the provided LR plugin,?

Was the camera connected correctly and turned on before Lightroom started?

Did you connect the LEMO plug to the correct USB port in the camera? I don't know if they are interchangeable though.

Did you start Tethered capture from the LR file menu?

I don't know what else to suggest since I'm not sitting with you .

This is my setup.

S (Typ 007)

Macbook Pro (early 2013) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

Lightroom CC 2015.3

LR LeicaTetheredlrplugin 1.0.0.510 installed. This is different to the original and still installed tether plugin default one meant for 006.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hoppyman

According to Leica Camera's instructions, if you use the plugin that they provided it will work with Yosemite or El Capitan in any case.
I've done my best to assist and explained as well as now shown that this does work for the S (Typ 007). The solution (which is a Release Candidate version of the plugin) isn't available yet for the S2 or S (Typ 006) or for PC either but I hope that it is coming. Adobe say that they fixed it for Nikon and of course the customer base there must be much larger. Now for Leica customers next please.

Remember it was Adobe that broke this, not Leica Camera and with the licensing partnership I would hope for everyone's benefit that it is fixed soon.

Do please report back here when you get this working for yourself. These threads are for everyone's benefit of course, which is why people do try to assist and contribute. The thanks button is a nice Forum option where you agree in any topic or appreciate the assistance  :D

You're welcome  :p

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 2

Hoppyman

Thank u so much for your assistance. I thought for 100% certainty I had downloaded El Capitan on my Mac book pro but discovered I only had Yosemite. With Yosemite the plug in would not work. Once I downloaded El Capitan the tethering works perfectly on my 007

and following up..... I tried to use my set up for 7 hour  or so shoot a day or two ago. 12 models.

Here is my experience. I don't claim to be expert by any means and shall reserve my final judgement (that plugin is a Release Candidate not a final release by Adobe). It is not there either in CC 2015.4 / 6.4

I followed, connect camera, turn camera on, open Lightroom, start tethering

That worked as described earlier. However, when I went out of the library module and did some developing I seemed to lose the connection.

Also seems to lose connection when camera went to sleep between sets. I did a couple of restarts but eventually disconnected all and need to try again another time. Shall also see how Tether 3 goes instead.

Battery draining was noticeably faster. Those are big ~50MB files to be streaming across of course

The S (Typ 007) will only write to the SDHC card first even with DNG only and then second copy to the CF card (my cards 32GB x  95 MB/sec & 120MB/sec respectively)

I turned the camera off a couple of times despite the still blinking LED as I thought that was from trying to connect to the laptop. I was wrong.

In fact the camera was doing quite delayed writing to the CF card and my mistake meant 60 exposures never wrote to that card. Fortunately for me they were all written to the SDHC card and I lost none.
The previous shoot I was working with an extremely experienced fashion model and many sets were very rapid sequences. Often 3 to 8 secs between frames.
The camera never faltered for 1400 frames. So the tethering really affects the write to card operations at least in the way I worked. Good to know as I learn more there.

There really cant be a large number of people using this setup world wide yet of course, so everyone sharing here is valuable I think.

Edited by hoppyman

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear this for all the 007 owners out there.

...and, as for all the tethered S 006 (and S2) owners. A fix for their El Cap incompatibility?  

...oh yeah, and tethered SL owners. A release of the long promised Leica Image Shuttle SL?

Hopefully now, the Leica  software "team" now has time to address these issues.

I emailed Leica re this issue, as I use Image Shuttle for focus stacking.  This reply came early this morning. 

the new Leica Image Shuttle Software 3.2 and Thethered Plug-in  for the S2

we published soon.
I am assuming that it will be provided in the coming weeks.

I ask for your understanding.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards 

Peter Brieger 
Leica Camera AG 
Customer Care 
Support
Am Leitz-Park 5 / D-35578 Wetzlar

• Like 2