Leica Image Shuttle SL via USB cable - is this a delusion...

rsmphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, please tell me I've got it all wrong here, and that I'm just having a bad day.

After careful perusal of the Recording mode section, there is nothing in the Leica SL instructions that mentions or even hints at physical (wired) tethered operation of the SL similar to the S (via USB cable, utilizing full control of the camera, allowing DNG capture and auto import into LR CC). That what Leica refers to as Leica Image Shuttle for the SL (LIS), is merely and solely the iOS/Android app, nothing like the LIS application for computers that exists for the S.

In the SL instructions, the USB 3.0 cable connection is only described as a means to transfer files from the SD cards to a computer - nothing else. It appears that the term "Leica Image Shuttle" for the SL really only applies to the iOS app, intended for wireless camera operation and transference of files to an iPhone or iPad, obviating the use of LR CC in the capture process. (Also, yes I've tried Lightroom mobile, Photoshop Mix, etc. - decidedly not valid alternatives for me).

So, my question is, is there not something else that replicates the Leica S experience when shooting tethered, coming from Leica for those of us that shoot predominantly tethered via USB to LR CC?

If not, this is indeed a huge disappointment, (and much as I like the SL) for me at least, undermines the validity of the description "professional" for the SL system.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by rsmphoto

Leica Image Shuttle is a separate piece of software for OSX or Windows. Unfortunately, Leica produces a separate version of LIS for each camera, and it does not yet exist for the SL

I saw one suggestion to download LIS for the S and see if it works for the SL - I haven't tried this, as LIS for S is only available for OSX and I use Windows. :huh:

I would be delighted if anyone corrects me on any aspect of this.

My investigations are posted here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253971-tethered-capture/

Edited by LocalHero1953

Leica Image Shuttle is a separate piece of software for OSX or Windows. Unfortunately, Leica produces a separate version of LIS for each camera, and it does not yet exist for the SL

I guess to sum up my query, is it possible that LIS SL is in fact already released and solely in the form of the iOS app? When I reexamine everything, I find I've never seen or heard any official mention that Leica was releasing anything else for the SL.

There are have been several threads here about tethering and remote management. I have a recollection (without searching through them all) that someone at Leica, or at a dealer, or on Leica's stand at a show, said "LIS for the SL coming, but not soon" or words to that effect. Read into that what you will.

I agree, this really ought to be out there for use.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with some some spare time brought on by a blizzard nearby I found time to do a bit of research, and answered my own question - it's in fact vaporware!

From Leica's site touting the features of the SL, " USB 3.0 enables fast and stable tethered shooting with the camera connected to a computer. 

Leica Image Shuttle software ensures an efficient work flow and enables all relevant exposure parameters such as shutter speed and aperture to be assessed on the monitor of a PC"

For this particular pro it's become somewhat of an exercise in patience.

I have a shoot in scheduled in London in March. I wonder if it will be ready by then.....

See link below under Seamless Integration (so far this is obviously an imaginary claim!). 

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Details

Edited by rsmphoto

Yes, it's been done several times, through my dealer, then direct to Leica Germany.

The answer from Leica Germany back in November, and I quote in part, "The plug ins for tethering with the SL as well as the image shuttle availability will come in the future, unfortunately I can’t give you an exact date."

Really??  Then I would have preferred the tense used in the LIS description quoted above to have been future rather than present - "will enable" and "will ensure" rather than "enables" and "ensures."  Using the present tense implies that the software actually exists. A bit misleading.

Look, I make my living using Leica S, M, T and now somewhat partially, SL systems.  Let's get the software released. Heck, release with a caveat and make us beta testers.

In this case, radio silence isn't an answer.

Apologies for the rant, just a bit frustrated here in the US.

Edited by rsmphoto
  • Like 2

If I were you, I'd consider the SL as it is today an investment in future gear and rely only upon the S, M, and T system gear for planning your shoots. Everything will eventually appear for the SL, I'm sure, but to base your work and income on future potential products isn't sensible. 

• Like 1

If I were you, I'd consider the SL as it is today an investment in future gear and rely only upon the S, M, and T system gear for planning your shoots. Everything will eventually appear for the SL, I'm sure, but to base your work and income on future potential products isn't sensible.

Agreed. My error was believing the inference of the PR material - that the software existed. I had hoped the SL would serve as a lighter weight alternative to the S when traveling, as well as a backup. I'll hope that becomes a full reality in 2016.

Edited by rsmphoto

...... yes ..... Leica's time would be better spent supporting current models rather than wasting it on producing underwater cameras .....  :wacko:

Hey! I just might trade in my X typ 113 for the X-U. It offers something that would be very handy beyond just being an alternative to the M or SL with a 35mm lens...  :D

• 8 years later...
23 minutes ago, sveinur said:

Hi.

Is there anyone who can tell me where I can find the link to download Leica shuttle 3.0 software? :)

I just can not find it :(

//svend

it is still on SL support download page, but it has been dead for years since they passed the ball to Capture One

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!