Turning off video

Tina Manley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to permanently turn off the video function on my SL.  I have never, and will never, intentionally take a video with this camera.  I have, however, unintentionally taken several videos by pushing the wrong button which is too easily pushed!  When I accidentally hit the video button, I am prevented from taking any still photos.   I've turned the camera off, taken the battery out, and the camera still insists on taking a video.  Is there a way through a menu to turn this button off or reprogram it for another function?  I haven't found it if there is.

Thanks,

Tina

• Like 2

I would like to permanently turn off the video function on my SL.  I have never, and will never, intentionally take a video with this camera.  I have, however, unintentionally taken several videos by pushing the wrong button which is too easily pushed!  When I accidentally hit the video button, I am prevented from taking any still photos.   I've turned the camera off, taken the battery out, and the camera still insists on taking a video.  Is there a way through a menu to turn this button off or reprogram it for another function?  I haven't found it if there is.

Thanks,

Tina

Here's what I am told.  LV toggles the camera between still and video modes  so that's the first step.  apparently taking out the battery doesnt reset to zome sort of default,  Then there is a function called Mode lock that ensures if you are in photo mode, the video button does nothing.  If you are in video mode, the shutter button will do nothing until you use LV to get things back to where you want them. 

Unlike the M[240] you can't just set video button OFF (and use it for something more valuable.).  Of course video people see this from the opposite side, and the SL is designed with a symmetric sort of philosophy.

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I have never experienced your issue, nor have I accidentally pushed the button...but there is no reason to turn off the camera or remove the battery.

This should be an easy fix in firmware and its on the list in the FW request forum for those that don't have a need for video. Currently its not an option, but hopefully its added.

But Im confused why you think you need to turn off the camera or remove the battery to turn off recording. I think you are switching to video mode inadvertently and not aware, but the display completely changes when you do this. Its a one button push to switch back to still mode. I would suggest studying the manual and getting comfortable with all the button functions. Personally I find the location of this button ideally located to prevent accidental pushing.

Mode Lock turns off the ability to shoot stills during video recording, you must have the enabled. From the manual:

To prevent taking photos during video preview and recording, or to prevent starting a video during photo mode accidentally, both button functions can be deactivated during the above described modes. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

Thanks,

Tina

Hi Tina, 

Your post showed up in triplicate! 

There's no way with current firmware to turn off the stills/video mode switch when you press the LV button. I only rarely use the LV button, it is for my fingers the least accessible button on the camera. I find myself pressing it so infrequently that I assigned Exposure Bracketing to it, another feature I use pretty infrequently. So my fingers don't tend to find their way there by accident ... I have to be deliberately intending to use the button for something. 

Regards accidentally pressing the video release button, the SL includes Mode Lock (Setup -> Customize Controls -> Mode Lock). When Mode Lock is enabled, the video release is disabled in stills capture mode (you have to press LV to activate it first) and the shutter release is disabled in video mode (you have to press LV to disable video mode). 

So my recommendation is to turn on Mode Lock if it is off, and move anything you use often (like Exposure Compensation) away from the LV button so that you tend not to use the button at all. My current button assignments are 

TL  (menu) :: drive mode menu

BL  (magnification) :: metering pattern

TR  (review) :: exposure compensation

BR  (display mode) :: ISO

LV  (mode switch) :: exposure bracketing

FN  (display simulation) :: lens code menu

This set of assignments is working well for use with R and M lenses and keeps my fingers away from the LV button 99% of the time. I have them set to an 'RLens' user profile. As soon as I start working with the 24-90, I'll have to work out where I want AF control things to go (at least two of these will go into the Favorites menu) and will create another user profile for 'SLLns' use.

Yes, the camera remembers which mode was active when you power off (stills/video modes) and returns there when re-powered. Pressing LV is the way out of video mode.. :-)

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

I'm sorry it showed up in triplicate!  I kept pressing Post and it never showed that it had posted.  I appreciate the instructions and advice and will try to reprogram my camera.  It is still in video every time I turn the camera on and pressing the LV button makes no difference.  I must have something programmed wrong.

Tina

I'm sorry it showed up in triplicate!  I kept pressing Post and it never showed that it had posted.  I appreciate the instructions and advice and will try to reprogram my camera.  It is still in video every time I turn the camera on and pressing the LV button makes no difference.  I must have something programmed wrong.

Tina

That sounds like the settings have become corrupted, and a complete reset is actually needed.  :mellow:

• Like 1

I had the Mode set to ON.  The video was still running every time I turned the camera on. I even put a new battery in.  The only way I could get it to stop was to RESET CAMERA.  Thank God that worked!!!  I hope this doesn't happen often.  For some reason my finger seems to hit the video release button.  That's the only thing I've found that I really don't like about the camera.

Thanks for the help.

Tina

It was probably saved to your profile then.

you must have double jointed knuckles :)

I couldn't accidentally hit the button if you paid me...its in a position that I can't reach while shooting/griping the camera. Its even out of reach of my thumb.

Are you referring to the silver button with red dot? or the live view button?

Edited by digitalfx

Silver button with the red dot.  Maybe it's because I'm a left-eyed shooter?  I grip the camera with my right hand and my finger falls on that button.

Tina

hmmm, maybe so. Try wrapping your fingers all the way around the grip, your finger should naturally land on the shutter release and this gives you a better grip on the camera.

Silver button with the red dot.  Maybe it's because I'm a left-eyed shooter?  I grip the camera with my right hand and my finger falls on that button.

Tina

I think I see now, looking at your profile image and your photography you are shooting vertical. In this position I can see how your finger lands on the video button. Hopefully Leica will give us a FW update soon and this will be an option to disable. It seems like an obvious option to have.

Edited by digitalfx

I think I see now, looking at your profile image and your photography you are shooting vertical. In this position I can see how your finger lands on the video button. Hopefully Leica will give us a FW update soon and this will be an option to disable. It seems like an obvious option to have.

But with Mode Lock enabled, the video release button is already disabled, unless you're already in video capture mode... Why do you need another disable option? 

• 4 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread.. does fw2 make any difference in disabling the video function ...it's not something I will ever use,but do seem to hit the button by mistake quite regularly! 

With the mode lock ON and set to stills, the video button no longer starts recording.  My understandin is you can't disable, but you can repurpose the video button.  I have it set to drive selection as an easy way to get to bracketing.  With those settings, it is almost impossible to start a video by mistake.   Would I prefer there also be an "off" setting?  Yes.

Hi Tina, 

Your post showed up in triplicate! 

There's no way with current firmware to turn off the stills/video mode switch when you press the LV button. I only rarely use the LV button, it is for my fingers the least accessible button on the camera. I find myself pressing it so infrequently that I assigned Exposure Bracketing to it, another feature I use pretty infrequently. So my fingers don't tend to find their way there by accident ... I have to be deliberately intending to use the button for something. 

Regards accidentally pressing the video release button, the SL includes Mode Lock (Setup -> Customize Controls -> Mode Lock). When Mode Lock is enabled, the video release is disabled in stills capture mode (you have to press LV to activate it first) and the shutter release is disabled in video mode (you have to press LV to disable video mode). 

So my recommendation is to turn on Mode Lock if it is off, and move anything you use often (like Exposure Compensation) away from the LV button so that you tend not to use the button at all. My current button assignments are 

TL  (menu) :: drive mode menu

BL  (magnification) :: metering pattern

TR  (review) :: exposure compensation

BR  (display mode) :: ISO

LV  (mode switch) :: exposure bracketing

FN  (display simulation) :: lens code menu

This set of assignments is working well for use with R and M lenses and keeps my fingers away from the LV button 99% of the time. I have them set to an 'RLens' user profile. As soon as I start working with the 24-90, I'll have to work out where I want AF control things to go (at least two of these will go into the Favorites menu) and will create another user profile for 'SLLns' use.

Yes, the camera remembers which mode was active when you power off (stills/video modes) and returns there when re-powered. Pressing LV is the way out of video mode.. :-)

I use only M lenses on the SL so this is how I setup my buttons:

UL - drive mode

LL - exp metering
UR - exposure comp
LR - ISO
FN - exp comp
LV - white balance
Video - greycard

I use only M lenses on the SL so this is how I setup my buttons:

UL - drive mode

LL - exp metering
UR - exposure comp
LR - ISO
FN - exp comp
LV - white balance
Video - greycard

Your button customization setup varies from mine on three points: 

FN (exposure simulations) :: lens profile selection

LV (still or video mode) :: bracketing setup

Video release :: user profile selection

Since I mostly work with raw image files, I find I change from Auto White Balance very infrequently.