Big Problem!

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Until the SL appeared I had thought the crafty Leica folk would add contacts to the M mount to allow AF lens use on the next incarnation of the M ........ but that seems unlikely now.

The SL is at heart a supremely capable AF camera that as a bonus allows you to use M and R lenses without it being a painful frustrating experience...... but it is still designed to be paired with its own series of lenses.

I still maintain that this camera is not a RF substitute ...... and that if you value this and the compactness of it and its lenses then either keep both or wait for a new M in the hope it bridges the gap.

Apart from using the WATE and Nocti, the 24-90 has not been off my camera in 4 weeks of use ....... I really can't see the point in using any R or M lens within the F/L of the zoom as the advantages .... if any ..... are minimal. 

• Like 1

Don't go for image quality and convenience of AF alone, Ivar - there is a reason that you are using the M system now. It might be a good idea to wait for the specifications off the upcoming M.

• Like 1

Don't go for image quality and convenience of AF alone, Ivar - there is a reason that you are using the M system now. It might be a good idea to wait for the specifications off the upcoming M.

Yes, this is probably a sensible thing to do. I have a backup M43 system, so it is not very urgent.

• Like 1

I see that many argue that SL and M are complementary lines. For some, this is no doubt true. I see them mostly as substitutes. Which body should I choose for Leica lenses? I note that devote M users are selling off M bodies and order the SL. Perhaps a new M model will have an impact on this.

The distinction, to me, is more whether I prefer an RF for some kinds of shooting over a TTL camera. For me the M-P sings mostly with 35-50-75 mm lenses, and mostly for people, some landscape, and "et cetera" shooting. While it can be pushed to do other things with its Live View capabilities, it is somewhat awkward. The SL's "sweet" lens range is much broader and its capabilities are more general, like any SLR compared to an RF. 

Until the SL appeared I had thought the crafty Leica folk would add contacts to the M mount to allow AF lens use on the next incarnation of the M ........ but that seems unlikely now.

The SL is at heart a supremely capable AF camera that as a bonus allows you to use M and R lenses without it being a painful frustrating experience...... but it is still designed to be paired with its own series of lenses.

I still maintain that this camera is not a RF substitute ...... and that if you value this and the compactness of it and its lenses then either keep both or wait for a new M in the hope it bridges the gap.

Apart from using the WATE and Nocti, the 24-90 has not been off my camera in 4 weeks of use ....... I really can't see the point in using any R or M lens within the F/L of the zoom as the advantages .... if any ..... are minimal. 

I think we're approaching the SL from opposite ends of the spectrum. I haven't yet taken the 24-90mm zoom out of my office nor mounted an M lens other than for some simple-minded testing. All of my shooting with the SL has been done with R lenses, because to me it is the body that moves the R system forwards into the next paradigm. I'll get to the zoom eventually ... but I've never been much of a zoom user and it's taking me a while to become accustomed to its size and weight despite the additional features and capabilities it provides. 

The major advantages to me of using R lenses within the 24-90 range come down to:

• smaller size and lower weight of the camera/lens package in my hands
  • the specific drawing qualities of the individual lenses that I'm familiar and happy with
  • lens speed

The SL is certainly not an RF substitute, I agree; it's a whole different thing and should be measured on its own merits.