V-Lux 20 - does GPS work in Cuba?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My wife is going off on a two week cycling trip round Cuba. She is taking her V-Lux 20 with her. Is Cuba one of the countries where Panasonic blocks GPS, like they do in Mainland China? If so, I might as well switch off the GPS on her V-Lux and she will save on battery. 

Wilson

Andy, 

Thanks for that link. I had had a look at it. Apparently it is now really only held to apply to people entering Cuba with commercial GPS equipment. I have found posts of people using for example iPhones, which have GPS or trekking Garmins. People have also posted photos with geolocations in Cuba. Any reference to GPS no longer appears in the Cuban Customs' own rules for tourists, although it should be noted you must not bring an electric iron of more than 290 watts (trouser creases are the tools of capitalist lackeys). The question really was if Panasonic had disabled the GPS on their cameras when it detects it is in Cuba, just like it does in China. The GPS of the V-Lux 20 did not work in China, whereas the colleague travelling with my wife, had a Sony camera, where her GPS did work. 

Wilson