Noctilux f0.95 vs 75mm Summilux

mdg1371

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am debtaing trading my 75mm Summilux toward a Noctilux f0.95, as I have found I am rarely using the 75mm after picking up a 75mm APO summicron.

I am aware of most of the differences in the lenses besides focal length--

Wide open the Summmilux will be slightly softer, with less contrast on center, with less vignetting and more "character" in the bokeh, and can focus closer.

Has anyone made this switch, or better yet can anyone provide a few comparison shots of the same subject with close to the same framing wide open?

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Like 1

I have both lenses and use the Nocti sometimes and the 75 Lux rarely but, if I had to chose, I'd probably keep the Summilux 75 and sell the Noctilux. Of my 50's the APO lives on the camera with the Lux 50 being my second choice at that FL. OTOH the Summilux 75 come in handy for the, albeit few, portraits I shoot having an 'older' less 'clinical' character to all the other Leica glass I own. That being said I've never tried an APO 75 so it's possible I might prefer it.

Edited by Jennifer

I'd be unlikely to sell my 75 Summilux, whereas I did sell my AA Summicron 75. I found the APO 75/2 really hard to focus; much more so than the Noctilux 0.95. 

The he reason I'd keep the Summilux is that it is apparently the lens Dr Mandler was most proud of and its a nice complement to the Noctilux. As you say, it's soft wide open, but it's also tack sharp stopped down. 

I guess it it also depends which other 50 you have. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im not inclined to pick up an f1.0 Noctilux-- had one and sold it, as it is just a bit too soft for my taste-- Ive kept the 75mm Summilux, specifically because it is visibly sharper on center, wide open than the f1.0 Noct.

In terms of other 50's, I have the APO Summicron and the 50mm Summilux ASPH. Ive tried to get close to the rendering of the f0.95 Noct. by post-processing wide open shots from the Summilux ASPH, and while I get get some things close enough as to be satisfactory, some others, like OOF highlights, especially with point sources, just cannot be duplicated.