Anyone knows if in the near future is a firmware update for the T fixing some of the bugs including the app that overrides the DNG+JPG on the memory/internal memory in the camera when using the iPhone/iPad?

There will be a firmware update, although I don’t know when. I suppose it will fix bugs and it might improve AF speed (i.e. incorporate lessons learnt during SL development).

Edited by mjh
  • Like 4

So much of a camera's experience these days comes down to software that Leica really can't afford to dedicate such a high percentage of their software engineering team to new products. They need to have more dedicated engineers working on already released products. Far from being a cost center, these add enough to the user experience that they grow sales over time allowing them to reap the benefits of the long tail between product releases. If they don't do this, there is festering discontent which destroys the word of mouth follow on sales and pollutes the discourse in reviews and commentary.

Without a released product engineering team they are forced into a cycle of having to release new products and new versions of products at a very rapid pace which puts extreme demands on the hardware engineering teams and the hardware state of the art hasn't advanced enough to make a quantum leap between versions.

Right away Leica needs to release a new version of the T firmware to support the new SL lenses. Let's hope they take the opportunity to address some bugs and add a couple of features. My current list is as follows:

1. Bug: Program shift doesn't work in the current firmware version
  2. Shallow sleep vs. deep sleep - shallow sleep is screen off, EVF off, live view off, GPS on camera ready to shoot. 
  3. Defer initializing the lens and the screen when waking up in MF mode. Just activate the shutter. Allows shooting from the hip and zone focusing. (1/30/2015)
  4. Feature: Tracking AF
  5. Focus scale in AF mode when you have focus lock (10/29/2014)
  6. Make 2s self timer stay on for multiple shots. (10/29/2014)
  7. Feature: (low) Write to both SD and internal memory for data protection
  8. UI: make the ISO selection a matrix rather than a scrolling list
  9. Bulb mode. Hopefully live bulb mode.
  10. WiFi
    1. Feature: (high) WiFi Authentication on web browser
    2. Feature: (high) WiFi Use https rather than http for browser so that data can't be sniffed.
    3. Feature: WiFi automatically phone home and download new firmware.
    4. Feature: WiFi Use GPS position from iPhone app to fill in EXIF data when viewfinder is not attached. Might be better if they used bluetooth for this in real time which would reduce battery consumption. However I don't know if there is HW. An offline mode that records a track and then updates all the photo's EXIF data might be a good option. (1/20/2014)
    5. Feature: WiFi IPv6
    6. Bug: No cursor when entering network passwords
    7. Grab current almanac for GPS over WiFi (1/20/2015)
    8. Set time and date via NTP (1/20/2015)
    9. Download tzdata over WiFi and set local time. (1/20/2015)
  11. GPS
    1. Faster acquisition - preserve almanac on camera
    2. Faster acquisition - use last position on camera when off for short period of time
    3. Faster acquisition - infer position from last position if a very short interval of time
    4. Feature sunset and sunrise at location
    5. Location available when viewing pictures
  12. Local time & GMT
  13. Feature: Ability to disable video button or reassign it to a different feature.
  14. Feature: Ability to rename Profiles to something specific.
  15. Feature: (very low) some way to see the gps position of a photo when playing it back.
  16. Feature: focus bracketing. This is particularly useful for macro photography.
  17. Feature: time lapse mode.
  18. Spend some serious effort on video to bring it up to the level of the LX100 - license from Panasonic. If you are going to do it, do it right.
  19. A camera feature which may be a nice heuristic while not taking away from Das Wesentlisch would be to have the camera recall its last location and when it gets an GPS position from the EVF that would put it in the new timezone, have it prompt the user and ask if they would like to set a new timezone.

Focus peaking, absolutely! I am shooting a lot in the street with manual lenses; focus peaking will improve my shooting speed a lot!

But besides the speed of camera ready, and the speed of switching from LCD to Visoflex; as a manual lens shooter, I would be really happy if:

1 - we had the exposure area indicator

2 - we could use the right dial to change the shutter speed or the exposure to change the lighting to more or less, when required!

Do you think leica is listening? ;)