Leica M9 Corrosion - Sensor Replacement Starts Now!

LUF Admin

• 2 weeks later...

Edit. I should have read Sandy's post above. Yikes! Sandy, how did it turn out for you?

----------------------------

Original post: Anyone else experienced a wait time longer than 12 weeks to have the M9 sensor replaced by Leica New Jersey? Since I had received no updates and have been waiting about 16 weeks, I called Leica in New Jersey to check status and was told that the technician is working on it presently. A coincidence I suppose. Sigh...

Received my M9-P yesterday. Total time for sensor replacement 16 weeks and 5 days. Glad to finally have it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received my M9-P yesterday. Total time for sensor replacement 16 weeks and 5 days. Glad to finally have it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes, quite the wait lol... They just received my this Thursday, now the waiting game begins.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea of the warranty (or coulance) in regards to the corrosion problem? My M9 is about 6 years old, and I noticed the corrosion last weekend. I contacted Leica Germany, but haven't received an answer yet. I was hoping to upgrade to the M10 later this year, and to sell the M9. So I'm not waiting for big investments on the M9....

Any idea of the warranty (or coulance) in regards to the corrosion problem? My M9 is about 6 years old, and I noticed the corrosion last weekend. I contacted Leica Germany, but haven't received an answer yet. I was hoping to upgrade to the M10 later this year, and to sell the M9. So I'm not waiting for big investments on the M9....

A good time to sell the M9 - the buyer will get the second-generation, non-corroding sensor inside a freshly serviced body..should get top price!

• Like 1

A good time to sell the M9 - the buyer will get the second-generation, non-corroding sensor inside a freshly serviced body..should get top price!

My guess exactly. I heard today that the repair would indeed be free of cost, and that it would take approx. 5 weeks.

Leica NJ received my camera on the March 9th.

I called and spoke with a customer care rep today. My M9 was sent off to Germany for sensor replacement, from my understanding they'll be re-doing the leatherite too, free of charge, etc.

They said it would be completed much faster sending it off to Wetzlar, but I wasn't given an exact time frame.

I sent in my 50mm Summilux too, in order to have it cleaned etc, but didn't get an exact time of completion either.

I called and spoke with a customer care rep today. My M9 was sent off to Germany for sensor replacement, from my understanding they'll be re-doing the leatherite too, free of charge, etc.

They said it would be completed much faster sending it off to Wetzlar, but I wasn't given an exact time frame.

I sent in my 50mm Summilux too, in order to have it cleaned etc, but didn't get an exact time of completion either.

Yes, the leatherette is also replaced..I believe in order to replace the sensor, the existing covering needs to be removed. The body is also cleaned and adjusted as required. Best bit, of course, is not fearing sensor corrosion anymore!

The leatherette replacement would be nice, since mine was starting to come off in a couple of corners.

According to Leica Store Manchester, officially a ten year warranty from the date the new sensor was released, unofficially it will be much longer. 

• Like 1

Dropped mine of at the local dealer today. It should be back within 6 weeks (at least, that's what the guy @ Leica said).

Strange thing is, that I miss the camera already, and I don't even have time to shoot the next couple of days.... Weird

• Like 1

Dropped mine of at the local dealer today. It should be back within 6 weeks (at least, that's what the guy @ Leica said).

Strange thing is, that I miss the camera already, and I don't even have time to shoot the next couple of days.... Weird

Mine has been away five weeks so far. Missing it but enjoying digging out some 'old' friends. Fuji xe1, x100, Nikon FM2, Olympus Trip

www.robertpoolephotography.com