Leica M9 Corrosion - Sensor Replacement Starts Now!

LUF Admin

• 1 month later...

Well another one went to the dealer today but I'm waiting with my MM till the M9 is back (or just before August 15th). The MM has only a few spots while the M9 has over 30 spots all over the sensor.

Gerd

My M9 will return tomorrow, and by then it has been gone for 55 days. Since it went through a dealer, it's safe to assume that it took Leica approx. 7 weeks to replace the sensor. Can't say that I'm disappointed, since I expected at least 8 weeks.

If you are around Middle Europe you can call Leica and make an appointment in Wetzlar. If you show up personally they will replace the sensor and leatherette in one hour. 

Today I called Leica. The supporter on the phone told me that it takes Leica about 6 to 8 weeks to change the sensor.

I think the rumor of getting everything done in an hour seems completely off.

• Like 1

Today I called Leica. The supporter on the phone told me that it takes Leica about 6 to 8 weeks to change the sensor.

I think the rumor of getting everything done in an hour seems completely off.

I bet a leica technician can change a sensor in a lot less than an hour.

You'd lose your bet. The camera has to be dismantled.

Nope, once you've dismantled a couple of hundred m9s you would get pretty fast. Most of the time getting a sensor replaced is the camera going from one department to another, checked and double checked, unpacked and packed and in transit.

Edited by Frase

Customer Service has no departments the camera goes through. The work is mostly carried out by one technician. And you would really lose your bet. This is careful handwork, not throwing some parts together.

I got my M9 back (after 55 days) and the following was done according to the repair report:

• CCD replaced
  • Firmware update
  • Viewfinder adjustment
  • General camera adjustments where necessary

I did get a little scare upon testing it, since the lens wouldn't lock in place. Turned out that the locking mechanism didn't pop back up after rotating the lens in place. Some manual persuasion (read: pressing and fiddling the release mechanism several time) fixed that. Now it's locking again like it should.

B.t.w. according to the repair rapport my camera was sent to CamTech(.nl). Not sure if it actually went to Leica in Germany.

Camtech is certainly not able to replace a sensor. Be assured your camera enjoyed its holiday in Wetzlar.

If you went through a dealer, it would have been shipped through Camtech, who may have diagnosed the corrosion.

• 1 month later...

Now my M9-p is in the Leica Wetzlar and waiting for CCD replacement, the customer care told me that might need 4 weeks to handle it. Hope everything goes through smoothly. And one important thing is that Leica will charge for the replacement from Aug.

• Like 1

Customer Service has no departments the camera goes through. [...]

But the camera, nevertheless, goes through several departments. The logistics ("Versand") department understandably seems to have been overwhelmed by a flood of packges containing M9's from all over the world.

I sent in mine a few days BEFORE the policy change was anounced, yet after 7 weeks, I drove to Wetzlar to pick it up personally, because the service had been done, but they seemed to have a difficult time managing the throughput in-house.

Finally, no more funny germs in the sky :rolleyes: (and no more 'healing' chores in PS)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

[ M9 pre sensor change; Summicron 50 ]

Edited by schattenundlicht

Sent my M9-P for a routine sensor cleaning and Leica calls me saying that they will need to change the sensor. It will be out of action for 2-3 months.

Since this a free replacement, could someone enlighten me as to what steps a sensor change will go through.

Edited by rramesh

Remove cover, dismantle camera, replace sensor, reassembly is the reverse of dismantling, calibrate sensor, calibrate rangefinder, clean sensor, inspection, dispatch.

No coffee, lunch, or toilet visits? Harsh working environment. :-p