Leica changed a new sensor to M9-P but didn't get an upgrade offer

0Raakkeli

I'm sure Leica gets a volume discount- the price for one KAF-18500 sensor, that used in the M9, is over $2600.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=kaf-18500

Leica replaces more than just the sensor, and of course the procedure is labor intensive.

I would think offering the upgrade at the request of the customer would be cost-effective for Leica.

Myself, I would want the sensor replaced.

My M-E is in New Jersey now.  Hoping its just dirty and I get it back with nothing more than a cleaning.  Next best is the new glass, but I'm happy even with the old sensor as the image quality is outstanding and if it fails later they will replace it.

I have no interest whatsoever in moving to the M240 series.

• Like 1

I am sending my M9 for suspected sensor corrosion to New Jersey today. I was advised that it might take about 3 months and new sensors won't be available before end of 2015. Time to take out my M 240 which has been unused since bought in 2013.

Edited by AB007

Just told today my M-E needs a replacement sensor and won't be ready until late September.  I asked for a loaner and will have an M 240 sent to me on Tuesday.  they said the new cover glass isnt ready yet so I will get original.  I'll ask again about new cover glass. In early September, but no urgency as original is known for gorgeous color and is warranted forever.

I spoke with Leica NJ few minutes back. Leica tech confirmed that it has the sensor corrosion as suspected. Approx. 3 months waiting period. The gentleman told me that I could upgrade to a M240 but I refused since I already have a M240. They will notify me once it is ready to ship after replacing the sensor. 

Just told today my M-E needs a replacement sensor and won't be ready until late September.  I asked for a loaner and will have an M 240 sent to me on Tuesday.  they said the new cover glass isnt ready yet so I will get original.  I'll ask again about new cover glass. In early September, but no urgency as original is known for gorgeous color and is warranted forever.

I wonder if your mind will change to the M240 having used it. Would be interested to hear your thoughts, I'm a new M-E owner and in love with it.

Edited by ShivaYash
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am sending my M9 for suspected sensor corrosion to New Jersey today. -- -- Time to take out my M 240 which has been unused since bought in 2013.

Sorry for going a while without your camera, but it sounds you are nicely covered there. A problem I would gladly face.

• Like 1

I wonder if your mind will change to the M240 having used it. Would be interested to hear your thoughts, I'm a new M-E owner and in love with it.

I've had the loaner M240 for almost a week and have put about 400 clicks on it.  Its nice, a bit thick, but the shutter sound and feel is even better than a film M.

I'm still not interested in the upgrade as I just don't want or need the more advanced features and am delighted with the results from the M-E.

• Like 2

Leica Mayfair looked at my M9 today and told me that it has the corrosion issue.

They said that I would have to wait until the beta testing of the solution is completed and then a sensor would be fitted. Maybe September. I wasn't offered a deal to change it for the M240. 

Leica Mayfair looked at my M9 today and told me that it has the corrosion issue.

They said that I would have to wait until the beta testing of the solution is completed and then a sensor would be fitted. Maybe September. I wasn't offered a deal to change it for the M240. 

Same here, I was there the day after, Jimmy told me it would be late November or December.