Does your M grab people's attention?

I am not quite sure whether it is as good as going for a walk with a dog or with little children but it is a women magnet somehow...Not that I ever took advantage of it [emoji1356] [emoji3]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I hope my wife doesn't read this. I often go for a walk with my dog, 8 month old baby and m9.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

If it's a landscape I'd agree or architecture I guess but for reportage and street (which I always presumed most people used their M for) it would just hinder the photographer wouldn't it?

I know looking on here that a lot of people do use their Leica for landscape etc too

I am not interested at all in reportage or street photography, although I enjoy my two Monochroms 246. They sit most of the time on the tripod as I am shooting fine art and architecture. I started photographing with Leica M films and I like the portability and the process involved.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I worked for Leica microscope division for 20 years.

On a work trip to the factory in Switzerland many years ago,  the marketing manager (world) commented on my M6

saying why would I use such an old camera. I said it was still being made. He had no idea.

Never let the right hand know what the left hand is doing.It could have been the Leica motto.

Kangaroo 2012

• Like 1

No other than Camera Club members, but the M 'stealth factor' is invaluable. I was at a club shoot recently at Canary Wharf in London, which is private land where a permit is recommended and essential for any for professional work. My colleague was sporting a Nikkor 70-200 on a D600 and I was standing next to him with the M240 and 35mm. He was challenged and asked for a permit whilst the security guy just smiled at me.

I love the fact that my M series cameras don't attract attention. My Hasselblad cameras always attracted attention from the security services and the public. My Leica M cameras never attract attention of the public and airport security doesn't consider them worthy of "serious cameras".

Sheer bliss.

Edited by keithlaban.co.uk

I get comments. My M8.2 is brassed and *just looks old*. The "M8" is covered with black tape. So I get comments. Most are covered in the other comments.

The comment the other day that I found interesting was, "Oh, are you a photographer."  'Seems like a harmless comment, but I thought about it later. I know this is anicdotal but people still consider those of us that carry cameras to be photographers. I doubt anybody shooting a snapshot with an iPhone has ever been asked if they were a photographer. But someone carrying or photographing with a camera - a photographer. It made me feel there's hope yet for being a "photographer". :-) 

The only interest I get is from fellow Leica shooters. Usually they would approach me to see what lens I'm using. Non photographers never show any interest, and non Leica photographers just ignore me, probably thinking to themselves I must be some rich dentist :D

The only interest I get is from fellow Leica shooters. Usually they would approach me to see what lens I'm using. Non photographers never show any interest, and non Leica photographers just ignore me, probably thinking to themselves I must be some rich dentist :D

How do they know you are a Dentist?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

In technical diving, there is an expression: " You are a keen diver, if your diving gear is worth more than your car. " I might think, this is also applied for a lot of Leica photographers. I've seen a lot of Leica photographers who remind me more of a drifter than a dentist.

• Like 3

In technical diving, there is an expression: " You are a keen diver, if your diving gear is worth more than your car. " I might think, this is also applied for a lot of Leica photographers. I've seen a lot of Leica photographers who remind me more of a drifter than a dentist.

That is the way I see it too. Many Leica shooters over stretch their finances to afford the equipment, myself included.

• Like 1