Searching the perfect half case - Aventino from Arte di mano? Thinnest leather? Does some one speak corean?

bhauck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If one must have a case, definitely Arte Di Mano which I see fully covered here.  I bought one for my 240.  Lovely.  superb.  But funny thing I really prefer now having no case.  The camera is already too thick and the added thickness from the case just made, for my size hands, less comfortable.  And then I recently started to ask myself, why am I babying this camera?  Think going to let it wear and let the brass show.  Give it it's own character.  

Hi there,

I missed my M9 after selling it and so finally did the crazy thing and bought a M-P (240) for me  :)). Now I am looking for the right half case and did quite a lot of research and I must say: Half Case makers seem to have an aversion against transparently designed web pages!

What am I looking for:

-Built in grip

-Built in tripod attachment

-Fully removable backside cover

-Nice to have: "Design around the eye-cup" as Pelle calls it (for most protection, I do not need the light sensor)

If I am seeing it correctly:

-Gariz is out, beacuse no backside cover

-Angelo Pelle is out, because he has no model which has all three features at the same time (he has one for M9, but not for type 240!?) At least I can not find this option on his page. I emailed them for clarification

-Luigi is out, because I do not understand his page ;). No seriously: I emailed his daughter, but I am prepared to wait a long time for an answer, but there is hope that he has what I am looking for

-Arte Di Mano is out, because no backside cover. I read this everywhere. But wait! That is not true: on their page http://www.artedimano.com/ they offer the option of a fully removable back door (+$80). Yeah!

And I found out, that they have a model called Aventino, which looks to have a very nicely designed grip. (more like a real grip, not just a bump like the original design).

Does anyone have experience with this model? The page is mostly in corean, but I figured out what I need to know, except one option (screenshot attached). Buy any chance: Anyone able to translate this?

For those of you who have the original arte design: Does the "bump" improve handling similar to having a small grip or ist more a gimmick? The Aventino sure looks like having a "real" grip, but it has a hefty price tag and not the "design arond the eye cup" feature.

Now it could be that all except Gariz are offering what I need. In terms of thinness of the leather (which is important to me) I would rate them as follows from what I found on the net:

1) Arte

2) Luigi

3) Pelle (read somewhere that the leather is soft, but rather thick)

Thank you for reading so far and one last question: It seems that the M-P has a larger thumb rest then the M. Do you guys see a problem, If I would use a standard M Case with "Design around the eye-cup" (e.g. from Arte or Pelle) on an M-P or will it not fit?

Thank you all and looking forward to hearing from you,

Bernd

I currently own a M240. I had a Luigi for my earlier M8 and bought an Angelo Pelle when I bought the M240. However, both were adequate but not exceptional. Sold the Pelle a year or so ago and bought the Arte Di Mano. There is a significant difference in fit and quality between the Arte and the other two. The Arte fits more like a skin and with much lesser bulk. I did not need the removable back door as I use a glass protector which is more than adequate for my needs. Based on my experience, the Arte is head and shoulders better looking, constructed and fitted than the other two. 

• Like 2

How about Leica's own standard piece? Got the black half case with white stitches (and a dark purple carrying cord by Artisan). It is almost skinny by comparison, modestly priced too. 

I looked at the standard Leica case... It is thin, it adds less bulk than the Luigi or the Art and Artisan and is very similar in size to the Art Di Mano... which, (and I know I am repeating myself), is just as thin as the standard Leica offering. However the quality, the feel, smell(!) and fit of the Art Di Mano is a class above.

The Leica case is much less expensive than the Arte Di Mano, but the Arte is worth every penny extra. There is simply no comparison.

Like most here, if you are going to buy a case for an M... the Arte Di Mano is the one to buy.

• Like 1

I have an Arte di Mano Rally Volpe half-case for my all-black Leica M 240, and I love it!! It absolutely fits like a glove, adds very little in thickness or weight, the "standard" bump significantly improves the handling, it is beautifully made, and the feel & smell of it is gorgeous. Without having tried any other half-cases, I simply cannot imagine that anyone could possibly improve on the Arte di Mano. If you are after a case, there is no better choice.

Nicholas

• Like 2

• 6 years later...