Searching the perfect half case - Aventino from Arte di mano? Thinnest leather? Does some one speak corean?

bhauck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I missed my M9 after selling it and so finally did the crazy thing and bought a M-P (240) for me  :)). Now I am looking for the right half case and did quite a lot of research and I must say: Half Case makers seem to have an aversion against transparently designed web pages!

What am I looking for:

-Built in grip

-Built in tripod attachment

-Fully removable backside cover

-Nice to have: "Design around the eye-cup" as Pelle calls it (for most protection, I do not need the light sensor)

If I am seeing it correctly:

-Gariz is out, beacuse no backside cover

-Angelo Pelle is out, because he has no model which has all three features at the same time (he has one for M9, but not for type 240!?) At least I can not find this option on his page. I emailed them for clarification

-Luigi is out, because I do not understand his page ;). No seriously: I emailed his daughter, but I am prepared to wait a long time for an answer, but there is hope that he has what I am looking for

-Arte Di Mano is out, because no backside cover. I read this everywhere. But wait! That is not true: on their page http://www.artedimano.com/ they offer the option of a fully removable back door (+$80). Yeah!

And I found out, that they have a model called Aventino, which looks to have a very nicely designed grip. (more like a real grip, not just a bump like the original design).

Does anyone have experience with this model? The page is mostly in corean, but I figured out what I need to know, except one option (screenshot attached). Buy any chance: Anyone able to translate this?

For those of you who have the original arte design: Does the "bump" improve handling similar to having a small grip or ist more a gimmick? The Aventino sure looks like having a "real" grip, but it has a hefty price tag and not the "design arond the eye cup" feature.

Now it could be that all except Gariz are offering what I need. In terms of thinness of the leather (which is important to me) I would rate them as follows from what I found on the net:

1) Arte

2) Luigi

3) Pelle (read somewhere that the leather is soft, but rather thick)

Thank you for reading so far and one last question: It seems that the M-P has a larger thumb rest then the M. Do you guys see a problem, If I would use a standard M Case with "Design around the eye-cup" (e.g. from Arte or Pelle) on an M-P or will it not fit?

Thank you all and looking forward to hearing from you,

Bernd

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

IMHO Arte di mano is only way to go if you want ultimate fit and finish  The Arte strap is also superb. I find the standard "bump" grip quite adequate.

If you go for the back cover one of the press studs is designed to enable the cover to swivel securely - a nice touch and typical of the thought and finish in the cases. 

If you have any questions like the one you posted e-mail Sejun, he will reply in good English!

• Like 1

I would just get a standard Arte di Mano......... no difference between M and M-P.

I've had case with a built in grip but found the added bulk more of a nuisance than a help.

..... ditto with the removable back ...... which I guarantee will spend most of it's time off anyway

you have gorilla glass which is fairly scratch resistant ... and if you are worried you would be better to get a good quality screen protector ..... plenty on offer and much cheaper than $80 of leather you will spend most of the time leaving at home  :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I would just get a standard Arte di Mano......... no difference between M and M-P.

I've had case with a built in grip but found the added bulk more of a nuisance than a help.

..... ditto with the removable back ...... which I guarantee will spend most of it's time off anyway

you have gorilla glass which is fairly scratch resistant ... and if you are worried you would be better to get a good quality screen protector ..... plenty on offer and much cheaper than $80 of leather you will spend most of the time leaving at home  :rolleyes:

+1

I have had two of these Arte Di Mano cases and I cannot fault them for quality and appearance. They tick every one of your boxes.

Write to Sejun directly, he will reply in perfect English and help with your order/requirements. Superb service and very quick.

Email: sejun99@naver.com

You can even have your name, or any other text for that matter 'engraved' on your case...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Leica Store Miami stocks Arte Di Mano, but their inventory is hit and miss http://leicastoremiami.com/collections/bags-and-cases-half-cases

I was always under the impression that Luigi's half cases were the holy grail - is there anyone who has a Luigi and an Arte Di Mano that can review the two for us?  Are they on equal footing in therms of quality, materials and craftsmanship or is one better than the other? 

I am thinking of getting a half case but don't want to invest in a half case that I might be disenchanted with down the road...

Edited by Carlos Danger

Google translate is your friend:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ko&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.artedimano.com%2F&edit-text=

Translation also works for the javascript enabled windows :)

Edited to add: Well, the new forum software doesn't seem to preserve the above embedded url correctly and the menu selections on the translated page don't work.

A work around is to paste the http://www.artedimano.com/ url into the www.translate.google.com window and choose Korean to English translation. Then the menu selections will work.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I might add that when buying from Luigi the money you spend goes to a better use with his craftsmen that the other. Take that for what it's worth.

That doesn't make sense.............Are you trying to say that the Arte di Mano company employees kids or x cons....................what are you trying to say?

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I had a Lugi on my M9 and the workmanship was diabolical...............couldn't see the menu button and was slack on the camera. The Arte Di Mano cases are in a different class all together...................kind of like buying a genuine Loui Vuiton or a knock off made down Bangala Road

I would not use any leather case at all. But it depends where you are using your camera. I'm living at a place that gets really humid in summer. Leather attracts fungus that I want to keep away from my camera, as far as possible. I don't mind scratches on my camera but I do mind fungus.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I would not use any leather case at all. But it depends where you are using your camera. I'm living at a place that gets really humid in summer. Leather attracts fungus that I want to keep away from my camera, as far as possible. I don't mind scratches on my camera but I do mind fungus.

I'm living in Malaysia/Thailand so no worries here with fungus ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think you should find a way to try various cases, because there's no guarantee whatsoever that they will improve its handling.

I find they just make the camera more bulky, which is exactly the opposite of one of the most common request to Leica: make the next M a little slimmer please. If there's one thing that will tend to make the handling less comfortable it is more bulk, (though not everyone agrees, so I seriously suggest you think hard about whether it you really want a case for handling purposes or are you perhaps unconsciously simply decorating your new camera?

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

I had a Luigi for my M9 but sold it when I traded the 9. I now have Arte di mano cases for my three bodies. The fit is much better than a Luigi in my opinion. I also have the classic strap for each camera. I bought all of them from Leica Miami. They ship for free unlike getting them sourced from Arte di mano direct.

• Like 1