Leica 28mm Summilux Asph shots

jonoslack

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are the devil; and your shots are devilish. bad, bad man, you are, that you have me soil in my pants so early in my morning. :)

Seriously, thanks for sharing these.

I take it that you are happy with the lens. Can you describe the ergonomics and fingerprint for us poor souls?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Bum Fluff

• Like 15

Nice colour and mood in the chicken photographs, Jono but I can't say I'm a fan of the "F1.4 in daylight" look. Would be interesting to use this lens on a film M (and where the F1.4 would come in handy at times).

HI There Ian

Well, I see what you mean by the "F1.4 in daylight" look - certainly it's not always appropriate, but if I'm going to post pictures from the lens then people will ask!

I agree about shooting on film . . . just not sure that I've got the time (I'm really allergic to scanning).

Some of these were taken before there was lens support in the firmware (notably the chicken pictures which were taken nearly two years ago.

Here's another one from last week - no chickens and no flare:

Lens Torture

• Like 10

Something a little more straightforward at f8 (or thereabouts)

on piste

. . FWIW in the distance - just above and to the left of centre you can see a chair lift - the previous shot was taken at the top of that. Nice getting around the mountains with a camera. . . . really nice (not sure why we came home!)

• Like 7

Jono, for chicken's picture is it cropped ?

Best

Henry

HI Henry

No - none of them are cropped - I'm right up for cropping, but it seems to be rather misleading when showing pictures from a 28mm! I got very close to the chickens (luring them in with corn) and used live view for the framing (gasp - I don't often use live view).

All the best

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures, Jono, that show off your enviable skills rather well too.

I have to say that the out of focus areas wide open look a little nervous to me - is that what you found generally or is it just a characteristic brought on by these particular shooting conditions?

Pete.

• Like 1

Little do the chicken know how lucky they were to be photographed by the 28Lux :))))

The FoV discussion comes up again Jono!

This really seems tighter than a typical 28mm, I wonder why

Exchange my 35AA for your 28Lux for a week?

Probably because the chicken snaps were taken at the minimum focal distance (perhaps hard to tell the difference between 28 and 35 at .7 metre?) . . . . and I already have a 35 FLE (sadly under used)

Thanks for the pictures, Jono, that show off your enviable skills rather well too.

I have to say that the out of focus areas wide open look a little nervous to me - is that what you found generally or is it just a characteristic brought on by these particular shooting conditions?

Pete.

HI Pete

Thank you for the kind words - with respect to the bokeh - remember the chicken shots were taken at the minimum focus distance - I reckon that it's pretty equivalent to the 35 FLE at the same distance. . .

• Like 1

Would love to see a comparison against the 28 Cron Asph. One of Leica's very best optics IMHO.

HI Jeff

I sold my 28 'cron a while ago, so, sadly I can't do a comparison.

HI Erick

I was rather pleased with the 3dimensionality - and to me it feels similar to that of the 24 'lux, but each to his own (and it's hard to see in 1024 sized photos). Worth mentioning that the chicken pictures were taken with a prototype lens - the snow shots with a recent one.

All the best

Jono, all images are very nice, even at web resolution lens looks like a new Leica star.

Is there any NDA in place preventing you speaking more or these were shot with free range version of the lens (not chicken).

As a minimum could you describe lens design; size, lens hood and filter size. Of course your view on lens performance would be real music to many ears here.

• Like 1

HI Erick

I was rather pleased with the 3dimensionality - and to me it feels similar to that of the 24 'lux, but each to his own (and it's hard to see in 1024 sized photos). Worth mentioning that the chicken pictures were taken with a prototype lens - the snow shots with a recent one.

All the best

thanks Jono

yes it's hard to say in small size, I was wondering if I change some day my 24 Summilux for that 28 but now I don't know what to do :-)

• Like 1