Which M4?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would recommend the M4-P; it is unbeatable in my humble opinion.

I got my M4-P as a backup to my film MP and it has served me well. The thing about the M4-P accessories are cross compatible between it and the MP. My Abrahamsson Rapidwinder fits both cameras, as does the M grip #14405. The Really Right Stuff base plates #30D and 30E also fit both cameras, which can be used with any of the Really Right Stuff quick release tripod head clamps.

The M4-P is legendary for its strength and reliability which is why I chose it as a backup body. It has never disappointed and continued to soldier on when my MP had to be sent in for repair on a couple of occasions. Ultimately, I ended up trading in the MP on my M240. I still have the M4-P and can't imagine ever parting with it.

• Like 1

M4-2 & M4-P don't have self timer, M4 does.

I like my M4-P. Lightest camera, both 75mm and 135mm frame indicators(they're not in any way framelines), best 28mm framelines in any 0.72-viewfinder Leica. Feels like it's built like a tank. Black chrome are more common than the silver chrome, Canadian-built more common than the last batch(es) which were German-built, if you're price sensitive. My M4-P makes me want to pursue more Canadian-built equipment.

Nothing winds on smoother than

You see this quite a lot on the forum, but is this a useful criterium? I have two M3s, a '58 and a '61. The '58 is much smoother than the other but is that because it has had more film through it (being older) or was it smoother out of the box? One or the other might even have been rebuilt and is smoother, or less smooth, because of it. Both of these cameras are smoother than my MP which has a couple hundred roll through it, but the MP continues to feel better and better as I use it. I might even live long enough to have it be smoother and quieter than the '58. :)

M3, M2, M4; all these cameras are now very old and most have had lives completely unknown to their current owners. I'd be hesitant to ascribe to an entire cohort a characteristic found personally in one or two samples. I think it's Pico who has a NIB M4, its wind on would be a data point worth knowing. Unless it's dried out...

s-a

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M4-2 & M4-P don't have self timer, M4 does.

I like my M4-P...... best 28mm framelines in any 0.72-viewfinder Leica.

Nothing winds on smoother than an original M4 (supposedly due to the gears being lapped in together). The downside is the dearth of framelines compared with the M4-P or M4-2.

fwiw, DAG can install the M4-P frameline unit into the M4 without having to swap out the entire rangefinder.

fwiw, DAG can install the M4-P frameline unit into the M4 without having to swap out the entire rangefinder.

I asked Peter at CRR if he could do this when he did a major service on my M4 last year including replacing the framelines mask, which had fungus on it. "You should be so lucky - you are getting my very last new M4 spare mask of any type, that I have in stock and I have not been able to get any more for some time from Leica" was the answer.

Wilson

Nothing winds on smoother than an original M4 (supposedly due to the gears being lapped in together). The downside is the dearth of framelines compared with the M4-P or M4-2.

Wilson

The M4-2 has the same set of frame lines as the M4 (35, 50, 90, 135). The 28 and 75 framelines were only introduced with the M4-P. Whether this is to be considered an advantage or a downside is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I prefer the uncluttered view of the M4/M4-2 finder. I originally bought my M4-2 because I wanted an affordable black body with a four frameline finder. This ruled out all the other models in the Leica M lineup. It is now, for various reasons, my most loved and most used Leica M, the others being a M2 (lever rewind/self timer) and a M3 DS.

I asked Peter at CRR if he could do this when he did a major service on my M4 last year including replacing the framelines mask, which had fungus on it. "You should be so lucky - you are getting my very last new M4 spare mask of any type, that I have in stock and I have not been able to get any more for some time from Leica" was the answer.

That's interesting to know. I guess Don (DAG) must have some left over or has some kind of access to them, etc.. He offered to do it just a couple of days ago since I have a 28mm (the camera is in for an unrelated service.) I'm not going to have it done as I'm fine with using the entire frame as the 28 frameline (I don't wear glasses and I can see the entire frame easily, and I find it's very close to being 28mm.) A few years ago I had him already mask everything out except for the 35 and the 50 lines. I personally prefer less framelines and don't have anything longer than 50mm anyway.

That's interesting to know. I guess Don (DAG) must have some left over or has some kind of access to them, etc.. He offered to do it just a couple of days ago since I have a 28mm (the camera is in for an unrelated service.) I'm not going to have it done as I'm fine with using the entire frame as the 28 frameline (I don't wear glasses and I can see the entire frame easily, and I find it's very close to being 28mm.) A few years ago I had him already mask everything out except for the 35 and the 50 lines. I personally prefer less framelines and don't have anything longer than 50mm anyway.

Someone else told me that Peter at CRR had serviced his M4 this year and replaced the mask, so he must have managed to get some more stock now. I suggested that Peter tried Malcolm Taylor, who has lots of stock of new/old Leica parts.

I don't miss a 28mm frameline, as the outside of the VF on the M4 is near enough for that. I would have quite liked the 75mm frame corners, as I use 75mm a fair bit. I would use it even more on my M's if I ever get round to replacing my rather average Summarit with a better Summicron. OTOH on the M240, I use a Zeiss Contax Vario Sonnar 28-85 zoom, that is so good at around 75mm, I question spending any money to upgrade my Summarit.

Wilson