just bought 75 Lux

uroman

It's not a "correction number," and saying "drop the last digit of the nominal focal length and then append the two white numbers" is overcomplicating the matter.

The two digits are the last full millimeter and the first tenth of a millimeter of the focal length.

If you had a 50 mm lens engraved "17," then the lens would actually be a 51.7 mm.

If you had a 70 mm lens engraved "17," then the lens would actually be a 71.7 mm.

A 75 mm lens engraved "50" has an actual focal length of 75.0 mm.

A 75 mm lens engraved "00" is misengraved, since "00" would indicate a lens of 70.0 mm.

The reason for the indicator is that in earlier days different focusing mounts were made for certain focal lengths, and the lens head in question was fitted to the proper mount.

All DR Summicrons are 51.4 mm IIRC. That was the design focal length for the dual-range mount, and tolerances weren't allowed. However, non-DR Summicrons made at the same time will indicate variations in actual focal length. Some 51.4 mm lens heads went for dual-range Summicrons, others didn't. No lens head not 51.4 mm in focal length went into a dual-range.

The engraving of this actual focal length indicator (not "correction number") has become less necessary as production techniques have improved.

That's an interesting convention. If they made a lens marked 50 mm and its actual focal length were 49.7 mm, what would the engraving say? 97? Wouldn't that be confusing?

I'm not doubting the accuracy of your post, as I have no idea what the engravings actually mean. I'm just surprised that engineers would use such a convention.

• Like 1

I

All DR Summicrons are 51.4 mm IIRC. That was the design focal length for the dual-range mount, and tolerances weren't allowed. However, non-DR Summicrons made at the same time will indicate variations in actual focal length. Some 51.4 mm lens heads went for dual-range Summicrons, others didn't. No lens head not 51.4 mm in focal length went into a dual-range.

I've read several owners over the years that state the DR Summicron was 51.9mm. Does anyone have a pictures of the focal length scribed on the barrel of a DR module?

SO my 75 lux arrived and it is quite nice.

I understand that one has to use the inner frame lines.

It isn't 6 bit coded, is it necessary to use manual lens detection, or is it not important.

I am not sure what to think of the bokeh, since I haven't taken a lot of pictures. To be honest, i don't know what to use a 75mm length on. Im not sure of how to use this focal length, perhaps portraits as "head and shoulders".

I have a 35 cron, 50 lux, and now 75 lux. They are all fairly close together.

The simplest answer is when you want the particular Mandler style of wide open character (practice will establish if this is a factor for you), or when you want a tighter image (cropping would do this).

I have used mine for all sorts of things, including landscape, stopped down.

I'm not sure I agree that the 35-50-75 lenses are "too close". The 35 occupies most of the rangefinder area, and the 50 & 75 a reasonably tight box mid-frame. I find it's more about the combination I carry. 28-50 is a good combo, as is 35-75. But, I will add or substitute the 21 or 90, or switch them about. I tend not to carry more than one spare lens (two, if I have a bag and two cameras).

I try to carry one lens and one camera - I then think more.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For portraits I prefer the 50 or 75 focal lengths to the 90. With my 90 I feel too remote to connect well with the subject. Funny, because years ago when I was using an M6, 90 was my lens of preference for portraiture.

My 75 Lux tends only to get used by me for portraits not only because it's a great lens for this purpose but also because it's just too big a heavy for me to bother lugging it around with me all day.

I've read several owners over the years that state the DR Summicron was 51.9mm. Does anyone have a pictures of the focal length scribed on the barrel of a DR module?

A definitive post by our late Lars Bergquist

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/224666-dual-range-summicron-2.html#post1987361

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Here is my Summicron DR. I have taken it apart and you can see the serial number of the lens module matches the serial number of the close focus section (tiny numbers on the barrel on the left).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Dual Range version of the 50 Summicron was inscribed with 51.9N. The N (near) was the designation that the lens module portion was for the DR version (51.9).

Here is the close-up of the numbering.

On the other side of the lens module barrel on the inner side of the module was a numerical value. The DR lens was matted specifically to a specific mount. The Mount had the entire serial number of the lens. The lens module had the serial number on the front of the lens and inscribed as the last two numbers of the serial number on the inner lens barrel.

Here is the close-up of the numbering. I assume the 35 is the last two of the serial number, but I suppose it could also be a fine adjustment to the FL. But, I don't think this is what it is. Any comments on this aspect would be appreciated.

I bought this lens and you can read about it in the post from Lars' remarks linked above. I knew (assumed) in 2012 that the new M would have LV and I bought this lens specifically to send to DAG and have the second Near Focus (NF) helicoid machined off so it would fit the new anticipated M. Otherwise, without the modification of the NF helicoid, the lens jams in the near focus range of the focus ring on the M8, 9, and M240. Now it will focus in the near range with use of LV, without the goggles! Making it a really cool lens for the M240. I also had it coded for the 2/50 011110 (BLK-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-BLK) because, after testing the lens on the M9 I liked the color rendition with this coded lens choice the best.

The DR Summicron is a wonderful lens and when used with the Leica OUFRO it focuses even closer!

Rick

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 1

I have the DR Summicron, but have not had it modified to work on digital M's. Having said that I have used it on my M-E. Contrary to what Rick posted my DR does work in NF but it does not focus to infinity. I removed the post on the backside of the goggles so that they could be used on my M-E. I'm not sure if the previous owner of my DR had it modified, and I just can't tell, but I thought a modifaction would have made my DR usable both in NF and to infinity.

I have the DR Summicron, but have not had it modified to work on digital M's. Having said that I have used it on my M-E. Contrary to what Rick posted my DR does work in NF but it does not focus to infinity. I removed the post on the backside of the goggles so that they could be used on my M-E. I'm not sure if the previous owner of my DR had it modified, and I just can't tell, but I thought a modifaction would have made my DR usable both in NF and to infinity.

Hi Mijo,

Your DR should focus to infinity just fine on the ME. But, when you push the focus ring in (out) to access the near range focus range it should bind on your ME. I am assuming you are not using the goggles for this exercise.

If, it doesn't bind, then the near helicoid has been milled off or something else about your lens is not making sense. Can you post a picture of the back of the lens with the helicoid exposed?

Rick

ok, now getting back to the 75 lux, which is what this thread is about..

I just took my first few pictures.

I love the creamy smooth bokeh in the lens.

The other lenses I own are modern 35 cron and 50 lux (both the current models). The 75 puts a creamier bokeh out there. The bokeh balls (from a christmas tree) however, are quite sharp and don't look great. just my first observations.

ok, now getting back to the 75 lux, which is what this thread is about..

I just took my first few pictures.

I love the creamy smooth bokeh in the lens.

The other lenses I own are modern 35 cron and 50 lux (both the current models). The 75 puts a creamier bokeh out there. The bokeh balls (from a christmas tree) however, are quite sharp and don't look great. just my first observations.

Well you really have two things going on. The bokeh created by the F 1.4 and the lens compression of the background created by the focal length. I imagine this has very good subject isolation.

Nice picture, but isn't it a bit dark?

What can I say, it was one of those dark sunny days LOL

15566554664_6d0cb1d422_b.jpg

L1026201 by unoh7, 75 Lux WO

16001369938_0768c11797_b.jpg

L1026230 by unoh7, 75 Lux WO

16003046137_b5731b5498_b.jpg

Broccoli by unoh7, 75lux WO

BTW cost was 3050usd for this copy. Circa 1983 Canadian, built in hood, perfect except a few small brassing marks on focus ring. Calibration, to my great relief, is very good.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 1