When installing lens-- simple advice/ caution

hockey44

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pls forgive if you all know this. Very helpful Leica service tech in Singapore showed me the benefit of when fitting the lens to the M240 body it should always be set to the SHORTEST distance so it fits WITHOUT touching the cam. I always left lenses at infinity and wasn't aware there was a difference when installing. However, this simple "trick" I had not previously read about or heard. It makes perfect sense and wish I knew about it earlier. If I missed it in the instruction manual, please ignore. But I sure am happy I am now 'enlightened' and less likely to unintentionally touch the cam which is of course very sensitive.

I still struggle to fail to understand why after having my M240 and Lux 35 FLE and Lux 50 sent to Wetzlar for "adjustment' my focusing at infinity is slightly off. Only noticeable if you use the EVF and then look on computer screen and do 1% loop-- but I never realized that 'tack sharp' primes at infinity are in fact (or could be) slightly out of focus (after adjustment) and in my case to achieve 'perfect' clear focus I need to back off a tad. Am I the only one experiencing this? I fear now that I need to use the EVF to get confident focus. Whilst is works well, I prefer without the EVF. Of course you can use live view and 10x peek, but if you get the focus spot on this way and then move to your eye to reframe focus is off. I guess I don't like the frame shots looking at live view. Any thoughts welcome.

You tried to give us a "tip" which I really appreciate. You relied on the service tech's advice and if there is any truth to it, there's no harm in following the advice as it just takes a second. DF

• Like 1

I always try to leave any of my lenses set to infinity so when I try to focus I can only turn them one way and never end up "hunting" back and forth to find correct focus.

I suppose I could leave them set to the nearest focusing distance but 40 odd year old habits are hard to change .............. in fact why, at my age, should I try to change.

Regards, Tom

• Like 1

I always try to leave any of my lenses set to infinity so when I try to focus I can only turn them one way and never end up "hunting" back and forth to find correct focus.

I suppose I could leave them set to the nearest focusing distance but 40 odd year old habits are hard to change .............. in fact why, at my age, should I try to change.

Regards, Tom

I do not leave them at close distance. My hands would get mixed also