Size of the M240 ... why do people complain?

Wicht must gave you trouble on à film M?

Not at all :)

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

The #14405 M grip is a must for the film M cameras IMHO. It greatly improves the holdability of the cameras.

The 14405 also fits a wide spectrum of M cameras - M2, M3, M4, M4-2, M4-P, M6, M6TTL and MP (2003 version), if memory serves me. It is a shame that Leica stopped making this grip, as there are untold legions of these M cameras in use still today.

There are still a few used copies to be had on the secondary market and even new examples on Amazon.

I don't know, I spend a bunch of time with friends complaining about stuff that in truth doesn't actually bother me that much. That said, details matter and I like that people care enough to notice slight changes in camera body size. Cameras in general and Leicas in particular are about the subtle aspects of a product. The Leica disappears in my hands which is a feeling I never had with SLRs. I didn't even know it was missing. Is it the end of the world that the digital cameras are 10mm or whatever thicker than the MP or M3? No. But I like that people notice.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's Porsche all over again. Evolution not revolution.

Just as the 911 has changed over the years, shedding the oil cooled engine in the 964 and all iterations prior to the 996 and water cooled engine and more modern features and better air conditioning, more weight, etc.

I have noticed when I switch between the MM and the M240 that it feels heavier and thicker. Not the end of the world or even close but when you have it in your hands all day you do feel the difference. I stopped using the strap around my neck. No, I don't use video, care about the display much or EVF or peak focusing which I've never tried much. I do love the shutter release but most of all I love the color pictures it produces with very good black and white conversions.

I'm pretty much destined to buy each M model as it comes out. I give up. Same with my iPhone and also with Porsche, although I do keep the older ones and living in NYC, not the time to get the new ones, as amazing as they are.

So what's next? I predict we'll see a Monochrom version of the M240 and that will be a tough one for me as I love my Monochrom. What will the next M body be like? Well when I want a comfortable sports car, a modern 911 is hard to beat. When I want to go out for a recreational drive, I get in my 73 Targa. I have a hard time imagining Leica making a sleeker and less feature oriented M but at the same time, there's Porsche models that are more oriented towards serious racing and track as well as comfortable GT cars...A GT3 with a sunroof? Wtf?

Bottom line. I'm thinking the analogy will hold true with Leica and all is pretty darn good.

Edited by Avatar
  • Like 1

I thought the size was the same it was just the thumb grip which made the millimetre ???

And the extra weight is mostly down to the battery.

Personally the size is not an issue for me but more compact and lightweight battery technology in future versions would be welcome.

Loosing about 100-150g would be perfect.

Although as I said above it's still very good now, this is more of a "nice to have"

Edited by colonel
why not
  • Like 2

The #14405 M grip is a must for the film M cameras IMHO. It greatly improves the holdability of the cameras.

The 14405 also fits a wide spectrum of M cameras - M2, M3, M4, M4-2, M4-P, M6, M6TTL and MP (2003 version), if memory serves me. It is a shame that Leica stopped making this grip, as there are untold legions of these M cameras in use still today.

There are still a few used copies to be had on the secondary market and even new examples on Amazon.

With a small amount of packing, you can also use the 14405 on an LTM but of course the fit is not as good.

Wilson

Here is the chart from DigitalVersus. Other reviews quoted similar times, sometimes even slower. Now I don’t know if there has been a firmware update since these people reviewed the T.

Wilson

..... bears no resemblance to reality ...... I am sitting with the camera in front of me ...... start up to taking an image with the EVF is 2 secs ..... photo 1-2 is as fast as it takes to lock focus ..... which is too quick to measure easily, but the AF is no slower than I would expect outside the pro DSLR/A6000 group of cameras.

I am afraid that these days I would be more inclined to believe a 'review' by a knowledgeable 'normal user' (such as Jono) than a dedicated camera review website or someone who is making cash from their opinions .....

• Like 2

I thought the size was the same it was just the thumb grip which made the millimetre ???

And the extra weight is mostly down to the battery.

Personally the size is not an issue for me but more compact and lightweight battery technology in future versions would be welcome.

Loosing about 100-150g would be perfect.

Although as I said above it's still very good now, this is more of a "nice to have"

Loosing weight is possibility but it want be battery - before it happens we will have to wait for technology employed in Star Trek phaser guns to be realised into reality.

I'm amused by people who complain about the size of the M and then add stuff to it (half case, grip, EVF, soft release etc.) Mine stays firmly naked. On the other hand I'd love to see an M6 classic sized M.

At photokina '12 I played around with the M and found it too large for my (large) hands. I am just too used to film Ms (and my Leica II). Then again I can perceive a difference in size holding my M4 and my TTL.

That said, if I ever decide to go digital, I won't care about the size of the M I buy because the size will not have been a factor in my decision-making. Still, a digital M in the size of a film M would be very nice.

Philip

• Like 3

.A GT3 with a sunroof? Wtf?

My 1977 RSR (made by Penske in California from a lightweight 911S) has a sun roof. It had been welded up but I had it opened up again as it is very nice for rallying in hot weather. Since the whole body has a welded in massive roll cage, it makes zero difference to the structural rigidity.

Wilson

• Like 1

It would be even nicer if they could cut the size and weight to that of an LTM Leica. If if they had to go back to an APS sized sensor, I think I might buy one. I suppose the T might be said to be that camera but I want one with the EFV built into the body, not sitting like a huge wart on the top.

Wilson

• Like 1

It would be very nice indeed. I wonder how much space the video and EVF components take up? I don't use either.

Mike.

To the best of my knowledge, neither takes up any room at all. The best proof is the M9 which has the same dimensions as the M, with the exception of the thumb rest and wheel.

I'd bet a modest amount that the difference in girth is mostly due to the rear display. Hence, a displayless M would be about the same size as an M6.

• Like 3

And how practical is that?

Depends on your working habits and work flow.

I personally use the display on better days only for minor adjustments such as the ISO speed or EV correction. For those I can do without a rear LCD, provided it's displayed somewhere at all.

On less than good days I am taken to much chimping. However, I (again, personally) would be happy to accept a detachable screen or to use a wirelessly connected phone for that purpose, as I am not in a particular hurry when chimping.

I realize, of course, that there are people who can not think of doing without the rear LCD. However, I suspect that some of the members here who miss the elegant size of the film Ms could do very well without a rear screen, provided that the information displayed there remains available in any reasonable way.

It has been discussed here before.

Depends on your working habits and work flow.

I personally use the display on better days only for minor adjustments such as the ISO speed or EV correction. For those I can do without a rear LCD, provided it's displayed somewhere at all.

On less than good days I am taken to much chimping. However, I (again, personally) would be happy to accept a detachable screen or to use a wirelessly connected phone for that purpose, as I am not in a particular hurry when chimping.

I realize, of course, that there are people who can not think of doing without the rear LCD. However, I suspect that some of the members here who miss the elegant size of the film Ms could do very well without a rear screen, provided that the information displayed there remains available in any reasonable way.

It has been discussed here before.

Thanks on your long answer, I am aware of this subject being regularly discussed.

One thing that revolutionised use of computers was introduction of graphic user interface, unless someone thinks operating was more fun playing with punch cards. Digital camera is sub-species of a computer so rear LCD is most likely to stay, any remote LCD would be a cludge.

I appreciate people wanting slimmer camera but it is pretty much impossible. Compering film to digital film was thick only a fraction of a millimetre while sensor with base housing electronic circuit is much thicker and relation between mount flange and RF wheel plus registry of the optics were fixed in 1954.