Lumix DMC-FZ1000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I often wonder if a screw-on converter lens to effect a x1.4 or more effective magnification might be better than using digital magnification. Losing the inevitable aperture reduction but still with the option to use RAW rather than jpeg whereas most digital magnification systems only use jpeg format,

Anyone tried this?

Interesting idea. I haven't tried a screw-on magnifier, but I have tried a screw-on wide-angle attachment on an Olympus E-PL2 with 14-42mm lens. It makes the 28mm (equivalent) wide end of the lens to about a 20mm. There is some distortion, but otherwise the image quality is quite good, and the distortion is easily handled in post-processing.

You will need a 62mm 2X converter lens and I would try a cheap one first (some of these are quite good!). In the UK they are selling on ebay for approx £25 say $39-45 in the states. As the magnification works over the entire range of zoom, every setting of the zoom will be magnified x2. Good luck!

Hello K-H

I haven't actually tried this, neither do I have the DMC-FZ1000. I am really responding to Tom's post offering an alternative to built in digital 2x converters that drop the sensor definition down to 50% in exchange for a 2x magnification of the image.

If it works to a satisfactory optical standard the it would enable raw images as well as jpeg whereas digital magnification on most cameras allow only jpeg. It could be worth exploring at a modest cost.

I would be most interested in acquiring a FZ1000 plus 2x conversion add on lens if all this works OK! I know, I am nothing but a cheapskate! ;)

If it's my own image that you are interested in viewing, it can be found in the 2012 LUF book on page 81 taken with a very early Panasonic DMC FZ10 which is a 4 mpx bridge camera with a superzoom Leica badged vario lens. An early version of the FZ1000

• Like 1

I ordered today a wide-angle screw-on lens for the FZ1000 that appears to be made by the same company that makes the 2X converter Dave linked in his post. As I am very happy with the Intelligent Zoom results, I have no interest in the tele-converter, but thought the 0.43X wide-angle converter (at the same price) might be worth a try. It has shipped and will arrive early in September. I'll keep you apprised of my experience with it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To follow up on my last post. The 0.43 converter arrived yesterday afternoon. It came with the proper step-up ring. But the thing is, in my opinion, useless. With the FZ1000 lens set to 25mm, the view was nearly circular - terrible vignetting - and barely wider than the 25mm view. Zoomed until the vignetting disappeared, the view was identical to the 25mm view, but with the edges quite defocused. In my view, it's not even worth returning. Maybe a paper weight? We live and learn.