M vs MM

jimleicam3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still find the files of the MM unique. In terms of bw tonality I am not able to get these rich results with any other camera I have used. Shadow recovery and mid tone richness are nothing short of stunning. This is especially true in poor or harsh lightning conditions and in prints. Print the files and comfortably let Your jaw drop :-)

Perhaps it is my lack of very advanced Photoshop techniques but I just can´t emulate with other sensors files what the MM files deliver.

Cheers

Jochen

Some recent harmless holiday snaps with the MM:

Recent Additions - MindfulPhotography

Try putting them on a tripod, 'handheld' is like comparing the handling of two different cars each running on a flat tyre.

Steve

Dear Steve - do you really mean that the differences are so small? An image on a tripod or not at 1/500 s must be very small indeed....I would really like to understand, thanks. Inthe meantime I am enjoying my BW M9 images!!

/Anders

Try putting them on a tripod, 'handheld' is like comparing the handling of two different cars each running on a flat tyre.

Steve

Don't agree on this. You shouldn't be running a car with a flat tyre, should you?

So is it also wrong to shoot a camera handheld?

Personally I think the best way tot test cameras for yourself is to use them like you would in real life.

Enrico - you have some very good BW images on your web-site!!

The other day I was comparing an MM and my M9 (converted to BW), handheld. I could not detect any relevant difference - comparing the images as A3+ prints from my Epson Pro 3880. The light situation on the two images is somewhat different (the blurred leaves on the tree in the foreground).

Are the differences MM - M)/M(240) only visible at higher ISOs?

/Anders

No - they are not. But they do depend on postprocessing technique and there is quite a difference between the way the two files need to be handled. Your example shows two images processed to look as much alike as possible, which means you have not used the full potential of the Monochrom. To be honest, neither of them looks like it was taken with a Monochrom.

Edited by jaapv
typo
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So is it also wrong to shoot a camera handheld?

Of course you can use a camera hand held, that isn't what I said is it. The point if you are testing, is to remove variables as far as possible, and the biggest variable is the steadiness of the camera.

Then whatever you find 'in real life' is down to the photographer, like understanding post processing, and Jaap has pointed out the futility of making two images appear the same when they should look different.

Steve

Dear Steve - do you really mean that the differences are so small?

The difference may be very small, but if you are looking at detail in images shot from a distance any small movement of the camera will be magnified exponentially, this is one reason why test charts are photographed in a controlled environment within a closer focus range, not a 100 metres way. So I think it only fair to try and remove this variable if you want to go some way towards a definitive statement.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 4