Will the next M be a T+ ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can imagine if Leica build on the T design elements, the next M could look like this;

Aluminum body

Touch screen interface with one or two dials on the top plate

Clip on EVF - time to drop the rangefinder

New or revised 'M' mount and new range of M AF lenses (but legacy M lenses will fit of course)

If Leica attract new customers with the T they need another product for those customers to aspire to. I can't imagine the new customers going from a T to an M as we know it, so they must surely have something like this in their pipeline.

Discuss.

I didn't have quite your concept in mind, but I was wondering whether we might see Leica M and other camera manufacturers emulate the software interface, which looks to be the most interesting aspect of the T. From the photographs, it appears theT moves away from menus as we have known them.

Of course, but the point I'm raising is if the design elements will form the basis of a future M camera.

Maybe, but I trust the M will always stay a rangefinder camera. No AF for the M, ever.

And that’s fine. The point of having different lines of products is to have different products for different customers with different needs. Not just variations on the same theme differing just in sensor size.

The T is designed to appeal to people who have never and will never consider a rangefinder – assuming they even know what a rangefinder is. But that doesn’t invalidate the rangefinder concept nor does it suggest that the M should become a travesty of itself.

• Like 4

I can imagine if Leica build on the T design elements, the next M could look like this;

Aluminum body

Touch screen interface with one or two dials on the top plate

Clip on EVF - time to drop the rangefinder

New or revised 'M' mount and new range of M AF lenses (but legacy M lenses will fit of course)

If Leica attract new customers with the T they need another product for those customers to aspire to. I can't imagine the new customers going from a T to an M as we know it, so they must surely have something like this in their pipeline.

Discuss.

Wouldn't mind the touchscreen, wouldn't mind an extra dial if it means I can instantly read at what iso and what shutter speed my camera is in without having to look at the lcd.

Never been a fan of evf, although at the same time I must admit I only have experience with the one for my M240 and the build in evf of a Minolta Dimage 7Hi which I had over ten years ago. :D

One of the main reasons I now use the M for analog and film as well is because of it's rangefinder and manual focussing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going to bet you'll see some of the elements filter across. I mean the M has influenced the X so it's to like it hasn't already been done. The UI is slick and I'm sure will translate to the M.

I'm also almost certain you also see other brands influenced by the T. I think it's going to be a seminal design.

• Like 2

Wouldn't mind the touchscreen, wouldn't mind an extra dial if it means I can instantly read at what iso and what shutter speed my camera is in without having to look at the lcd.

I would prefer just one dial controlling either shutter speed (in M mode) or exposure correction (in A mode). I usually don’t change ISO while shooting, but if people want another dial for ISO or whatever, I wouldn’t be opposed to that. As to using a touchscreen in preference to the dedicated buttons, I had no objections either.

Apart from that, the existing lenses pretty much dictate that the M will stay a manually focused rangefinder camera.

• Like 2

The only thing I would like to see move onto the next M, is the snap on neck strap system, that's some particularly excellent design.

Yes, I hope we will see that system adopted across the board.

• Like 1

Of course, but the point I'm raising is if the design elements will form the basis of a future M camera

I think it's more likely that the design elements will result in a range of T cameras sharing the same AF mount. One with a built in EVF and another with an optical viewfinder are the two obvious candidates IMHO.

I really doubt that they would do this. We all know M stands for rangefinder. No rangefinder, no M.. They could call it something else, there are several more letters in the alphabet.

I guess I can imagine a future M with electrical contacts, and M-lenses that could AF but mostly for Tele and macro. And also, no clip on EVF... Please be integrated and hybrid like the X100.

Can anybody imagine autofocusing M lenses? They would be huge, just like E mount full frame lenses.

Edited by Chito