M8 first lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey, Anonimo... now that you have acquired the basic concept of framelines (no crop--> frame 35 IS 35 on M8 sensor size and so on) is time to go a little deeper... :cool: given that you come from SLR :

1) Field (angle) of taking CHANGES while focusing... it is maximum at infinity, becomes gradually narrower focusing at shorter distances

2) Leica Viewfinder's framelines DO NOT change their width/height while focusing

3) So, to avoid risks of "cuts" in your pictures, Leica has decided that the Field of View encompassed by framelines is the one corresponding to a relatively SHORT distance (on the M8, 1 meter if I remember well... on M 240 is 2 meters)

4) Consequently, when you focus to infinity you'll get a picture that is always a bit LARGER than the image framed in the Viewfinder, and this effect is more evident with long focals (75-90) ; an effect that becomes less annoying the more you acquire experience with your Leica.

Moreover...

1) Viewfinder optical axis is not coincident with the lens' optical axis... the scene you frame is not exactly the scene framed by the lens, even if the dimension is 100% correct

2) This is the famous "parallax error"... which tends to zero for a scene at infinity and would become unmanegeable at distances uncovered by Leica lenses (if you put a grain of rice 10 cm from the center of front lens you don't see it in the viewfinder... but a white outfocused spot will be visible in the image)

3) But the viewfinder's framelines DO take into account this phenomenon... they MOVE towards right/down while you move focus from infinity towards short distances.

Enjoy your M8 and your CV 40... but keep in mind that is a pity to have a Leica and no one Leica lens... :cool: so think of the Summarit 75 I quoted... or even to a low cost Elmar 90 (example : Elmar E39 4/90mm - Leica M Objektive - LEICA ) which is a pleasant oldstyle tele

• 3 weeks later...

I am more fortunate than most. I am 80 years old and have been using Leica's for a goodly part of that time. I currently have 3,an M8 with a 40mm 1.4 VC,an M8 with a 21mm f4 VC and an old reliable M3 SS with 50mm f2.0 Sumitar. The M3 has an M4 Meter. The M8 with the 21mm has the original VC auxilliary viewfinder while the M8 with 40mm has an original Leica 50mm Auxilliary finder. The finders are more or less required as I wear glasses.The reason I am more fortunante than most is I cannot see the great superiority most seem to be able to see in Leitz lenses over other quality lenses. I see pictures some describe as far superior with certain aspects which try as I may I am really unable to visualize. This makes my body/lense combinations perfectly acceptabe to me. It has also saved me considerable money over the years.

• Like 2