Hire to test before I buy

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I have always wanted a Leica. So before I spent a small fortune on a body and a few lenses, I hired an M (240) with a 35mm and a 90mm Summarit.

Wow, what a camera! I can walk down a street and stand less then 2 meters (6 feet) away from people and take their shot without been seen. And if I am seen, nobody takes note of me – a bit like been home with the kids really.

The output from the camera really is amazing. My wife, who is not into photography, took some of my shots and put them on her Facebook page. When we looked at the page on the phone she commented on the ‘bang’ in the photos. Her words not mine.

Its funny, but I have been reading all the reviews of the M on other sites and some of those sites moan about the fact that the sensor is not 36 megapixel, or the that the Sony RX1 gives as good a result, but at a vastly cheaper price. But they all seem to miss the most important points:

How does the camera make you feel?

Does it disappear into your hand or does it get in the way for taking a shot?

When I collected the Leica there was no instruction manual, but I didn’t need one. That to me is the sign of a good design. As I walked back to my car I popped off a few shots. Try doing that with your Fuji NEX Pro 800E without the instructions.

As for the output, well I have L lenses for my Canon 5D ii and there is a difference. There seems to be more contrast to the Leica, but that contrast has shadow detail. As my wife said, there is more ‘bang’ to the photograph.

All I have to do now is find the money to buy the camera…

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Have you tried it under Tungsten/Halogen light. I had serious colour problems (yes with new firmware), extremely yellow/orange skin tones, the only way that I managed to fix it was ColorChecker passport profile, for daylight I also made a profile but its identical to camera's profile so I discarded it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have you tried it under Tungsten/Halogen light. I had serious colour problems (yes with new firmware), extremely yellow/orange skin tones, the only way that I managed to fix it was ColorChecker passport profile, for daylight I also made a profile but its identical to camera's profile so I discarded it.

Yes I have used it under Tungsten lights and I find I can get pretty close. I process the shots to be warm anyway as I think it looks more correct with Tungsten lights. Here are two the only two samples I have where I shot the same photo with a Canon 5D ii and the M. Leica is on the left, Canon on the right.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1