L'flex SL ordered today ... but ...

Thanks for all assistance in tracing the lens mount button ... have just ordered one from DAG Cameras in USA where found a few other interesting bits and pieces including a case for my Canon Dial and a front cap for Leitz 1.4x APO extender ... plus a Minolta clock and a Nikon cable release (same fitting as Leica) ... :D :D

Dunk

BTW ... before deciding to contact DAG cameras in USA , I rang Leica Camera Ltd in Milton Keynes to enquire if they would sell me the part ... they advised me that there would be nobody available in their "camera spares dept " until next Monday :(:mad::eek::confused: ...

I doubt if Nikon or Canon would leave their spares depts unmanned for at least two working days ... Still don't know if the part would have been available from Milton Keynes ... but was very surprised to hear their comment.

Dunk

• 2 weeks later...

New L'flex SL lens release button complete with 'shim' arrived from DAG in USA today ... fitted into the mount in less than 3 minutes ... thanks again for all your help ... DAG also supplied a front lens cap for my 1.4x APO extender.

Cheers

Dunk

Dunk, in case you had wondered it's possible to modify the 1.4x APO to fit the SL.

Thanks Doug. I have tried the 1.4x on my SL2 ie attaching it to the camera ... and then attaching the 280/4 .. just to see if it fits ok ... but have not exposed any film with it yet ... I recall there was a meter reading / activity as the aperture / shuter speed was varied ... Are you saying the 1.4x also needs modification before use on a twin cam camera? I assumed I could use it with stopped down metering .. and was planning to use it with a 560/6.8 .... have just bought a 560/6.8 (to replace 560/5.6 which was too heavy .. previously only used the 560/5.6 on the SL2 without any extender)

Dunk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dunk, the typical 1.4x APO-Extender has an R-only flange that prevents its use on any Leicaflex. If yours fits on the SL2 it seems to have been modified already there's no reason it would not also work with the SL. For correct meter readings with the 280 at anything other than full aperture you'll need to press the DOF button on the SL or SL2 while lining up the needles. A bit clumsy at first but the view through the SL with the 280+1.4 is fantastic and the results on film are equally satisfying.

Doug, I am mistaken .. the 1.4x does not fit onto the SL or SL2 ... when I tried it before it was with my R4S2 ... so will have to use the SL and SL2 with the 280/4 and 560/6.8 without any extender .. and only use the extenders with the R series cameras ... unless I have the 1.4x modified. Looking forward to using asap when recovered from 'flu .. lots of it about in this area unfortunately.

Dunk