How I Came to Love the Frankenfinder

Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I replaced my M8.2 with an M9 I also bought the Leica 24mm 24mm Brightline Finder 12026 so I could continue to use the 24mm Elmarit ASPH. This finder has fixed frame lines to show coverage of both the full frame bodies and the cropped sensor M8. There is no accomodation for parallax other than a dotted line to show the top of the image when focused at 2 meters. I was happy with the finder until I started taking photos of some of the historic buildings in my area. When the background was bright, such as when photographing a building with the sky as background it often became impossible to see the finder's framelines at the top. They would just wash out and leave me guessing where to place (for example) the top of a chimney so to include it in the shot. Also the 24mm's hood would block part of the finder's frame.

Enter the Leica Universal Wide Angle Finder 12011 (aka "Frankenfinder"). Like my M9's rangefinder it has a fixed field of view with framelines for each of the supported focal lengths (16-18-21-24-28). Also like the rangefinder the frames move to correct for parallax and are illuminated by a separate window. Unlike the rangefinder only one frameline is visible at a time. Since the finder has no mechanical connection to the body (other than the hot shoe) the focal length and approximate focus distance in meters (0.5-0.7-1.0-2.0-Infinity) must be manually set using the two dials on the top. At the 24mm setting the lens hood does not intrude into the frame for distances 1 meter and beyond. While the Universal Wide Angle Finder framelines do not appear to be any brighter than those of the 24mm Brightline Finder, they are much more resistant to washing out against a bright background. They also appear to me to be more accurate than those of the 24mm Brightline Finder.

The Brightline Finder is noticeably brighter (both the image and framelines) than the Universal Finder and would be better in lowlight situations. It is small, and elegant appearing. The Universal Wide Angle Finder - not so much. It got its Frankenfinder nickname the old fashioned way - it earned it. But on the other hand it is supremely functional. It is more accurate, better in bright lighting, has a built in level, and (unlike the M-E and M-240) allows one to manually select any of its framelines to so as to see the field of view of other focal length lenses. Also, (until you get the the 16mm framelines) there is a lot of space outside the frames so you can easily see what elements might be included by recomposing. It has a nice rubber eyecup and takes R body diopters if needed. Best of all - I do not need to get another finder if I decide to get a wider lens. I got my Universal Wide Angle Finder used for $150 less than I paid for the Brightline Finder.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 9

Another use for the Frankenfinder will be with the 28 Summicron. Its lens hood blocks about 20% of the rangefinder frame. Even without the hood a significant portion of the lower right corner of the frame is not visible. With the Frankenfinder the entire frame is unobstructed with lots of coverage outside the frame for composition. I would probably not use the Frankenfinder with the 28 for event shooting, but for slower paced work I will definitely be using it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think the EV on the M typ 240 is something of a mixed bag - primarily because it does not have a level (or even grid) capability. I think my 12011 is going to stay put for now (also because I still use it with a 50mm Fujinon on a 6x9 camera).

Dante