I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

it is a layer of, I believe, carbon material on the non-emulsion side of cinema film. I deal with it when I slit and shoot the Kodak 50D 16mm film in my Minox cameras. It has not presented much of a problem as I am able to easily remove it following final rinse by running the film under running tap water and lightly rubbing the non-emulsion side with my finger. Not sure if that method would be effective on larger, 35mm negs. My understanding is that the Rem-jet layer is a sort of lubricant, allowing film to run smoothly through cinematic cameras.

Best,

Wayne

• Thanks 2

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

That is exactly what you see on Cinestillfilm. As they remove the remjet before exposure and development, it shows these halations full force. 

Hmmm... Why are they doing that? I know nobody who wants halos except some Lomoguys that think halos are "typical analogue"

22 minutes ago, Wayne said:

it is a layer of, I believe, carbon material on the non-emulsion side of cinema film. I deal with it when I slit and shoot the Kodak 50D 16mm film in my Minox cameras. It has not presented much of a problem as I am able to easily remove it following final rinse by running the film under running tap water and lightly rubbing the non-emulsion side with my finger. Not sure if that method would be effective on larger, 35mm negs. My understanding is that the Rem-jet layer is a sort of lubricant, allowing film to run smoothly through cinematic cameras.

Best,

Wayne

The problem with removing the Rem-jet layer is, that it needs a mechanical procedure. You can wash most of it off with chemicals. The last bits have to be wiped off. If you get some of the stuff onto the emulsion side, and it dries there, end of story.- and endless spotting... I believe this may be the dreaded Schmooz on  Cinefilm. I believe that in movie-film development machines the Remjet layer is removed by waterjets.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Hmmm... Why are they doing that? I know nobody who wants halos except some Lomoguys that think halos are "typical analogue"

Firstly, to me, having a halo-possibility is amatter of choice, an added tool in my toolbox of photography.

Secondly, Cinestill is doing it so that you can develop the film in a normal C41 lab, without gunking up the development machine with black sludge (and the susequent lynching of the person who brought that film :) )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hanapepe Red Triptych
M-A Thambar-M CS f/4.5 ADOX Color Implosion

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

I love the halos so I must be a Lomo guy I suppose. 😆

For some time now I've been trying to find a film other than CineStill, but nothing yet. Some say Eastman 5222, but from all the images I've seen it shows normal behaviour in that regard. Another potential lead is Lucky, but supply is not great for this Chinese film.

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Thanks 1

Back Way
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion
(Here's to looking for halos because close by there must be an angel.)

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Kodak Ektar 100 - Contax G1

Huntington Beach by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Huntington Beach by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Train... by Bluesky Overaquatic, on Flickr

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

I love the halos so I must be a Lomo guy I suppose. 😆

For some time now I've been trying to find a film other than CineStill, but nothing yet. Some say Eastman 5222, but from all the images I've seen it shows normal behaviour in that regard. Another potential lead is Lucky, but supply is not great for this Chinese film.

Eastman 5222 is also known as double X - another movie film. I don’t know if it has a Rem-jet layer. If it does, then that would be removed by companies like Cinestill together with any anti-halation layer, for packaging and sales in 35mm format.

You could also try Polypan 50, though I am not sure it is still available.

Rgds

C.

• Like 1

Empty

M2 Nokton 50/1.2 PanF in DDX

• Like 17

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8, Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 16