I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

4 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Eastman 5222 is also known as double X - another movie film. I don’t know if it has a Rem-jet layer. If it does, then that would be removed by companies like Cinestill together with any anti-halation layer, for packaging and sales in 35mm format.

You could also try Polypan 50, though I am not sure it is still available.

Rgds

C.

Hi Christoph , you can also remove with baking soda  ... an extra step before the C41 process

Best H

• Thanks 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

port vila, vanuatu 1993

nikon n8008s, nikkor 24-50, ektachrome

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Hi Christoph , you can also remove with baking soda  ... an extra step before the C41 process

Best H

Thanks Henry, I know. But 4 x 5 min soaking plus 1min shaking each time with 16g of baking soda per liter @ 40 C still don’t remove the layer entirely :( . Thus, some additional (mechanical) removal is required. I’ll post some examples when I find time.

Edited by christoph_d
  • Thanks 1

Mechanics fussing over a Porsche 956, this one entered by Obermaier Racing, during practice for the 1983 Silverstone 1000km.

You could get close then.....

Nikon EM, Nikkor 50mm f1.8 Ai, Kodachrome 64.

• Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So here's an example of movie film stock where the Rem-jet layer ended up on the emulsion side of the film (for reasons unfathomable to mankind).

MP, 50, Vision3 250D

Please be advised that these pictures have no pretension to being artistically valuable or technically perfect. Furthermore they also do not encompass the full magnitude of possible incompetence available to mankind when dealing with domestic development of movie film stock that is backed by Rem-jet. Purely for illustrative purposes!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

And here an example whereby the Rem-jet layer has mainly been remove, however the last mechanical step of wiping the non-emulsion side with finger or cloth or the like has been omitted. This cleaning step can be performed at a later stage so not all is lost for this negative.

(Long live the schmooz...)

MP, 90, Vision3 250D

Please be advised that these pictures have no pretension to being artistically valuable or technically perfect. Furthermore they also do not encompass the full magnitude of possible incompetence available to mankind when dealing with domestic development of movie film stock that is backed by Rem-jet. Purely for illustrative purposes!

Edited by christoph_d
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Sueoka
M-A Thambar-M CS f/6.3 ADOX Color Implosion
Colors/textures at Sueoka Market, Koloa, Kauai

• Like 16

4 hours ago, christoph_d said:

When everything comes together, however, the pictures may start to look quite nice. My stock has been stored for 2 years in less than ideal conditions, so I believe that fresh film stock may improve things even further, in terms of colour fidelity at least. 

MP, 35, Vision3 250D

Who wants for colour fidelity when you can achieve like this?! Really nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, christoph_d said:

When everything comes together, however, the pictures may start to look quite nice. My stock has been stored for 2 years in less than ideal conditions, so I believe that fresh film stock may improve things even further, in terms of colour fidelity at least. 

MP, 35, Vision3 250D

Yes, as a compliment, this calls to mind the quiet warmth of Bertolucci cinematography, waiting hours for just the artistically correct light. A solitary figure on an island between to avenues. Visual poetry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Double-X doesn't have a remjet layer. I'm still on my first 400ft roll bought directly from Kodak and it can just be processed as per normal. Terrific film btw, pulls and pushes very well and dries very flat.

15 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Eastman 5222 is also known as double X - another movie film. I don’t know if it has a Rem-jet layer. If it does, then that would be removed by companies like Cinestill together with any anti-halation layer, for packaging and sales in 35mm format.

You could also try Polypan 50, though I am not sure it is still available.

Rgds

C.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, philipus said:

Double-X doesn't have a remjet layer. I'm still on my first 400ft roll bought directly from Kodak and it can just be processed as per normal. Terrific film btw, pulls and pushes very well and dries very flat.

Philip, it's interesting to learn that 5222 (Double-X) does not have a remjet layer. Does this mean the film does not have an anti-halation layer? 

From your experience does the film produce halos around bright light sources? If so would you mind posting an example or two?

Chronos
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M CS f/2.8 ADOX Color Implosion
Kapaa & Hanapepe

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, stray cat said:

port vila, vanuatu 1993

nikon n8008s, af-nikkor 24-50, ektachrome

What a dynamic edit! This pushes Frankenthaler color field abstraction. One can only see the heritage and construct playful abstraction in the mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Chronos
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M CS f/2.8 ADOX Color Implosion
Kapaa & Hanapepe

The personification of time in a timeless classic. Sagely subtle, pastelly perfect. Echoes of a circus, neglect, time's ravages on material and the passing of eras. Wonderful.

• Thanks 1